Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coastal-shagg

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read through this. I rang the wildlife licensing department NSW today. I wanted to apply for my R2 license as i would like to purchase a GTP soon. I had a license in 2008 when i owned bredli, coastals and woma. I have since sold those animals and unfortunately i let the license laps after selling them.

in march this year i renewed my r1 license in the hope of getting into pythons again, I asked the wildlife licensing department today if i could apply for an r2 license based on previous experience to which they replied 'no' due to the fact it has been some time since I have owned those pythons and would need to redo all my experience with them.

Can anyone shed any light on this? They have told me that im going to have to buy another r1 reptile, keep it for 2 years and then apply. almost as if i had never held a license or those other reps before.

Is there anyway around this?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Did you speak to someone specifically in the reptile licencing department? If that's what they told you then, no there probably isn't a way around it unfortunately. However, it's also possible/probable that the person you spoke to didn't know what they wee talking about unless it was their specific area

Same here, kept various species for over 6 years, sold them, let the license lapse. Now had to wait 2 years, and I rang and emailed a fair bit.
Lucky for me my two years ended on the first of November and my application was in same day.

Thanks for the replies. Yea I spoke to someone who processes the r2 applications. Looks like I'm going to have to wait. Thanks everyone.

Same here, kept various species for over 6 years, sold them, let the license lapse. Now had to wait 2 years, and I rang and emailed a fair bit.
Lucky for me my two years ended on the first of November and my application was in same day.

They say patience is a virtue but it still sucks. It's pretty surprising that they won't give you any credit at all. And they wonder why people go the illegal route when they complicate something so simple.

Yet another failing from a Government body, it does definitely encourage illegal practises with some. Even though it is looking likely to have to wait the 2 years i am wondering if it wouldn't hurt to keep trying? Nothing to loose. Sometimes it takes luck connecting with the right person who is willing to go that bit further in achieving the desired result.

How important is it to you to get your r2 now? Do you want to wait the 2 yrs keeping something you aren't interested in and have gained the paper experience you have previously done? I would complete and submit your application anyway that's unacceptable in my view. The criteria doesn't state it has to be continuous and ongoing experience. Let them formally reject it if they go down that path in writing, then lodge a complaint and take the matter higher. There are many ways to get around this but it probably come down to how hard you push for it, they just expect you to roll over and take it and not fight for your rights.

I submitted twice before my time was up, even with a photocopy of my animal husbandry cert.
Worked out the second time they charge what I assume is a processing fee for running through the application.

Mine had lapsed 8 years. Did application, paid fee and was issued. No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back