Advice Before Purchase Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
Hi

I'm contemplating the purchase of the jungle in the picture. The seller is organising pics of the parents for me and says the parents are pure jungles and bred by Lesley Holden Cook (significant?). He's asking $200.

I have no reason to think I can't believe what he says. But I don't know him personally. So some backup advice would be appreciated; especially since I'm not all that familiar with the colouring of jungles. I am, though, particularly interested in bright yellow. Photos can lie due to lighting. This one appears medium bright. Do jungles tend to get bright/stronger contrast as they age; or get less brighness/contrast?

Thanks for any help,
Mark.

Attachments

• Graphic1.JPG
    Graphic1.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 452
The only thing I would say is if you like the animal go for it! If your second guessing your choice, hold out for longer and you can almost guarantee something else will come available that you will like even more!

Thanks. As it turns out, someone else had made contact with the seller first and beat me to the post! But I agree, patience will pay off.

I'd try to buy in person, so you can see the snake first, or buy from a recommended breeder/seller (have you looked in the For Sale thread here)?

I've been watching the For Sale section but nothing yet. I have come across a Krauss x SXR jungle jag only a couple of hours away. With others interested, I have to wait to this afternoon to see if I can have an option on it. If so, I'll drive down to look at it in person.

If your up for waiting, most hatchlings become available in feb/March which is also when the expos are held in sydney and this year port Macquarie. If you hold out until then there will be a few around, your best option is to sight the parents as they will give you an indication as to what the hatchlings may achieve

Thanks. I may have located a really nice one in Newcastle. I'm driving down Monday to check it out.

Nice looking specimen, shame u missed out, as others have said, hang out til late feb-ish and see what pops up or do what I did and make contact with the best breeder you can find and see how many clutches they have and get put on a waiting list, in my case I got the choice of about 6 snakes and ended up very happy with my little guy

There are a surprisingly many people breeding and selling reptiles in this area......Some reputable, others not so much.

If your drive to Newcastle doesn't prove fruitful drop me a PM if interested and I can give you the details of a couple of the reputable guys around here that breed.

We've just secured a rough scale in Newcastle. I'm just waiting on my licence to be upgraded to R2. It's being held for us in the meantime. A rough scale is nothing like we were planning originally but, learning a bit about them, we decided one would be nice.

Congrats Mark,

I hope that your new 'roughy' works out well for you. I don't have one but have been tempted a few times (....my wife is becoming more conscious of the ever growing collection I have!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back