SWCP hatchling questions? Thanks in advance everyone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GilesColey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Im getting a SWVCP hatchie next month and Im just getting the click clack ready (. I have some questions for the experts

1) Should I have the dowel level like the photos, or have them at angles from the roof to the floor or a combination of both, have I got too many?

2) Would natural branches be better, I have plenty of those

3) I'm using a heat cord (15W), would it be best to rest the click clack on ceramic tile and put the heat cord under the tile, bit paranoid about it getting too hot

4) Whats best for the floor, some natural soil, wood shavings, kitchen-roll, newspaper??

5) I assume I will need a thermostat, any particular brand/model for this setup

6) Any particular place to put the ventilation holes, top on the hot side and bottom on the cold side??

Any other advice is appreciated in case I haven't thought of something

Thanks everyone

smaller.jpgsmaller1.jpgsmaller3.jpgsmaller4.jpg

I can only help with a few questions.

For the flooring it would be best to have newspaper or papertowel simply because it is easier to clean up but also because if you have a heat mat and say wood shaving, the wood shavings can create a barrier making it harder for the heat to get to the reptile.

When it comes to the holes I have heard of putting holes on the top over the hot side and down the bottom on the cold side for air circulation.

Hope I was some sort of help, still learning myself :)

I don't imagine your hatchie is going to care too much re natural branches vs dowel. Just try to make life easy for yourself in terms of cleaning - the less you need to disturb your new hatchy the better. Make sure there's somewhere to hide & that the set up is escape proof.

Enjoy

Thanks for the comments everyone

I live in Perth if that affects the heating comments

As for the concern of him escaping through the gap of the tub and its lid, plop a heavy book on it. Done.

If you're living in perth I doubt you would even need a heat mat. But simply, on hot days turn it off. I'm in queensland and at the moment my snakes mats are just off. Its warm enough in the loungeroom and they stay at about 31-32 degrees easy.

Im getting a SWVCP hatchie next month and Im just getting the click clack ready (. I have some questions for the experts

1) Should I have the dowel level like the photos, or have them at angles from the roof to the floor or a combination of both, have I got too many?

2) Would natural branches be better, I have plenty of those

3) I'm using a heat cord (15W), would it be best to rest the click clack on ceramic tile and put the heat cord under the tile, bit paranoid about it getting too hot

4) Whats best for the floor, some natural soil, wood shavings, kitchen-roll, newspaper??

5) I assume I will need a thermostat, any particular brand/model for this setup

6) Any particular place to put the ventilation holes, top on the hot side and bottom on the cold side??

Any other advice is appreciated in case I haven't thought of something

Thanks everyone

View attachment 312381View attachment 312382View attachment 312383View attachment 312384

G'day Giles,

I don't know if your aware but there has been some discussion on here recently about conflicting views associated with SWCP and their arboreal v terrestrial habits. Some are of the opinion that offspring from parents who originated from areas where they demonstrate a more terrestrial existence have difficulty climbing and balancing on perches. So, it might be an idea to talk with the breeder in regard to the origin of the parents and how they keep their hatchies.

All things considered I can only offer the following advice.

I had a look at the pics and what you intend to use is almost identical to what I have housed hatchies in for years. With hatchies it's all about hygiene and ease of access to the snake and for cleaning.

Dowl is fine and there is no need to use natural perches. I only provide one perch across the click clack about 2/3's the way up on the cooler end for the above reason.

Paper towel (kitchen roll) is fine for floor cover. It is easy to remove and replace. Don't use soil or wood shavings because for several reasons they could be detrimental to the health of your snake.

I use a heat mat and place it in direct contact with the bottom of the tub. Others may be better experienced with heat cord to advise you whether to place it on a tile or not. I assume it would distribute the heat better when in direct contact with the tile. Whatever you use place about 1/3 of the tub on the heat source. I have never used a thermostat to control the temp of click clacks but it may be advisable if your using cord. The snake will let you know if it's getting to hot because it will spend most of its time away from the heat source, either on the perch or in it's water bowl. If this is the case just turn off the heat until the weather becomes a little cooler. If the cage is too cold it will just stay sitting over the top of the heat pad/tile.

For ventilation I use a small soldering iron to make three rows of about eight holes 2/3's the way up on each end. This provides a warm environment below this point while providing some cross cage ventilation about perch height.

Don't forget that you'll need a hide box relevant to the size of the snake (they like a tight but comfortable fit) and naturally a suitable size water bowl at the cool end.

Before you take possession make sure that it is feeding well and if it's not already, get it onto fuzzy mice asap. There's no real goodness in pinkie mice. When you get it leave it alone for at least a week to adjust to its new environment and then using long nosed tweezers (or equivalent) offer it a feed. Don't worry if it doesn't take it on the first offer just leave it alone and try again about a week later. Quite often when they are hungry and ready to feed they will straddle the perch with their head looking down in an ambush pose.

Hope this helps,

George.

Hi Giles,
My really young SWCP hatchies use this plastic fence lattice in their first 9 months or so. Later if they go into bigger tubs I find a branch or ladder placed horizontaly works well. SWCP are not the best climbers. I hear mine dropping all the time. So a perch with more area for them to spread out across is more ideal than a thin perch that would suit a bird.
15watt cords can be hard to get decent temps out of. Routing some grooves into a piece of wood and placing the tub straight on top is probably the easiest way and seems to get good heat out of the cord. The closer the runs of cord are together, the warmer the cord gets. By having a few grooves you can adjust the cord distances and temps.
A temp gun from ebay for about $12 is a good way to keep an eye on the warm spot temp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 72
asset (3).jpgasset.jpgasset (2).jpgasset (1).jpg
George, wow thanks a million for all that info, that helps me a lot, especially the cord/mat options, the feeding and the ventilation as well, its just what I needed

Thanks a lot Snowman, that really helps, I might put the grooves in the wood like you have there, what is that thermostat you are using on the tub there? I will put 2 or 3 bits of dowel and make them touching to give more surface area to rest

I plan on turning this into the enclosure once he/she gets old enough so she/he will have the option to stay on the ground or climb when they feel like it (see attached pics)

Thanks again all

It's just a probe thermometer to read the temps.
You can use a thermostat as well.

Any suggestion on where I can get some frozen hopper mice, I am based in the Perth northern suburbs (Yanchep)

Thanks

Hi, Giles

Was going to email you but saw this so here you go. Given where you live, I understand City Farmers in Currumbine sell them, as well as Pet City, who are in Balcatta, Joondalup, Joondalup Nth, and Wanneroo, all within some reach of you. Not sure of prices, but won't break the bank given you'll be feeding just one juvie carpet.

Cheers,
Simon

Simom, cheers mate, appreciate it, I will go and have a look at City Farmers

There's this place too which I think is up your way Giles.
Pet City Brighton
2/10 Hughie Edwards Drive
Merriwa WA 6030

Thanks guys, I tried City Farmers and they had weaners, but no Hopper mice

I rang these guys and they have them, its on my way home too

Petstock.com.au
Masters Centre, Butler Boulevard
Butler 6036
08 9562 7259

I have found what some suppliers call one thing are called another by other suppliers. Something with a body diameter around the diameter of a $2 coin would do for what you're getting.

S

Any suggestions for the best substrate for a SWCP when she moves into a larger enclosure? I was thinking Kritter crumble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back