Lacie's & Wire

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Native_EWD

Reaction score
G'day all,

I have recently moved my lace monitor from one aviary to another (upgrade) two days ago, the new aviary being fully covered in wire mesh, the old only one face of the aviary covered, rest was colorbond.

I noticed he is rubbing his nose along the wire a lot, almost constant. Ive seen a lot of enclosures people have used wire without a problem.

Before I replace his aviary, I thought id ask has anyone else had this problem? should it subside in the next few days, weeks once he gets used to his new surroundings?

Cheers in advance

You might have to cover all off the wire with shade cloth, of course a Lacie is going to tear it a lot so hopefully someone else has a better solution for you.

I was considering that, but 80% of the roof is covered in shade cloth, doesn't stop him from trying to get through it tho...

I have read that if you cover the the bottom area,say 1-1 +1/2 s-v length then nose rubbing damage becomes negligable as they can't nose rub whilst vertical

I have some plastic guards running along the bottom of the aviary, he manages to nose rub vertically and upside down.

I would get it out of there today, this morning if possible. The animal will end up doing irreparable damage, leading to permanent scarring if you let it persist. Some wire acts like a grater on reptile noses, and monitors can be badly scarred by this activity. It is unlikely to stop doing it, and anyway, it can do permanent damage in just a day or two. Much better to bag the animal until you can sort the problem out - if you use shadecloth, it will just climb to the top and persist. You need either bigger mesh (25x25 welded mesh) or a solid lower wall which it can't climb above.

Treat the problem as urgent, because it is...

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back