Snake safe mosquito repellant

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rxrestorer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Wierd question I moved house (living with flat mates and I have 2 snakes In my room with me.

There are a heap of mozzie's around and I really want to get something to repel the mosquitoes because the little *******s are eating me alive but I'm nervous to use things because of my bredli and jungle.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Top of Descent (wherever you can buy that stuff these days) or
mite_spray_1.jpg
It's an insecticide...no doubt it'll also kill mossies. Bloody expensive though to be spraying mosquitoes with :D

link: http://www.amazingamazon.com.au/mac-mite-spray-reptile-mites.html

Do you want something to apply to your skin, or something you can spray? If you need to spray, cover your enclosures (vents, glass gap) with towels for an hour or until the air has cleared.

Jamie

if youre renting, talk to your landlord (or real estate agent) about getting flyscreens.
theyre cheap as and any decent land lord would put them in.
No one should have to deal with mozzies!!!

Hi all,

Yeah was hoping for a spray or to use one of those electric things that repels but they have chemicals I can't smell them but don't know what it will do to the snakes.

It's hard to put fly screens on they are tilting windows. I'll try to figure out something.

Hi all

Quick update, I am trying out two different types of carnivourois plants. nepthenes (pitcher plants) and sarracena 's both available in melbourne.

Adam

Wouldn't bother with carnivorous plants for mozzies, you could kill more with your hands in 5mins than the plants will in a night. You'd be better off with a repellant applied to your skin. For aerosols, Cover your enclosures, unless it's deemed safe. Insecticides containing phenothrin as the active ingredient can be sprayed without the need to cover them.

Your right with that one. I don't have a huge problem but it seems to be helping. On the other side I have a bit of a green thumb so I was getting the plants anyway.

Thanks for the information about the active ingredient I have been trying to find information like that.

Also, a lot of carnivorous plants use pheromones or sweet/stinky secretions to attract the insects they eat. Plants containing water like bromiliads will attract and allow them to breed.

Yeah, I got sweet variety ones, though not strong.

And no they aren't flooded type like bromiliads (used to keep them in qld lovely plants), unless you habe very good conditions they struggle here or that's my experience.

My mother has always sworn that the neem or nimn (I can't remember the exact name) tree repels Mosquitos effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back