can sand monitors eat wet dog food ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayden1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
can sand monitors eat wet dog food ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Can they? Yes. Should they? Probably not.

The key is in the name - DOG food is for dogs.

Your better off buying pinky mice or larger then dog food, even a premium grade mince would be better. Cheap dog food isnt good for dogs so i wouldnt feed it to a reptile.

Saximus is on correct, Take into consideration monitors get there calcium from the prey they eat, not saying you plan on using as a staple diet, but even the best dog food probably won't meet a monitors nutritional needs. If it's for a treat maybe try kangaroo mince?

I myself would not feed wet dog or cat food to any medium or large monitor's, in the wild they eat reptiles-mammals-birds as well as dead carrion.
ln captivity you should feed them mice-rats and kangaroo mince or chopped up rabbit, this should give then a variety and plenty of calcium that they need to live a healthy life.
Remember to not over feed them cause it can lead to liver and overweight problems.

Small monitor's, should be feed a variety or insects such as, crickets-woodies-grasshoppers and newborn mice or newborn rats.
Small monitor's enjoy eating insects more and a little bit of meat occasionally.

l myself have kept ( Ridge-Tailed & Pygmy-Mulga & Spencer & Sand Monitor's), so l do know a lot about keeping and feeding and health issues, for when it comes to keeping these awesome lizards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back