Outdoor Enclosure Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timothyng1998

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have just started building my 2.3m x 4m enclosure for blue tongues and water dragons.
I have a few question i mind and would like to ask for your opinion.
I live in melbourne so the weather could be bit on the extreme side.
1. Do you still need to clean their waste if the substrate is mulch? wouldn't it stink if i don't?
2. I know Pebbles and drain pipes are ideal, but are there other cheaper options?
3. How to make an insulated box that will keep the ideal temp during both summer and winter?
4. Any suggestions on good plants to be placed in the enclosure?

Any reply would be appreciated.

This is my experience with pits in Sydney.
1) No you shouldn't need to clean their waste. I have 5 pits and I couldn't find any waste if I tried.
2) What are you using the pebbles for? I use wood planks, hollow logs and bathroom tiles, buried under mulch and dirt to form caves.
3) My blueys love to brumate in grass clippings and they also make use of the caves I referred to earlier.
4) Any plants with a decent amount of coverage works pretty well. I use a lot of large leafed grass like plants and ferns found in my local area, sorry don't know the name of them.
Plants will start growing in your pit eventually, its up to you to remove or leave them.

What are you building your enclosure out of?

Thanks for the reply, I used a Dog run/ enclosure. as a frame and add walls on the side to prevent escapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back