First time with eggs!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Web_Himself

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was worried when my python wasn't eating well it turns out she had a belly full of eggs :D So ive got a few quick questions.
* Will the male try and eat the eggs or will the female keep him away??
* I don't really want to try and get an incubator setup, so just going to leave mum on them and let nature take its course is there anything I can do to help her out though??
* How long do they normally take to hatch??
and any other tips you guys can give. Thanks for your help much appreciated :)

just keep the temp around 31 and you should be fine, no he wont try to eat them, but I would put him in another cage so he doesn't disturb mum on her eggs, you didn't say what python she is, most Morelia,(carpets) take around 53 days, give or take at that temp, bhps and womas take around 60 days, keep the humidity up in her cage, nature so to speak will do the rest, good luck

You MUST remove the male - he will disrupt the female's attempts to incubate because he will seek out the higher temps her body will operate at. Female pythons raise their body temp during incubation by twitching and shivering to bring the eggs up to normal incubation temps. You must raise the humidity in the enclosure, by regularly misting (without wetting the female and her eggs) - placing loosely screwed up newspaper sheets and using a hand sprayer daily to wet them is a good way to do this. Keep the temps to about 28-29C so that the female's body can do the final adjustments without using too much of her stored energy - if you keep the enclosure at normal incubation temps, 31-31.5C, you run the risk of overshooting this on occasions and you may damage the eggs if they get a few degrees too hot.

Jamie

thanks for the advice guys, my other enclosure is out of action at the moment so I cant separate them, he has been pretty good thus far with her (that ive seen) so ill just throw some moisture in there for her and keep it warm and hopefully I should have some little guys in no time! I haven't tried to feed her because I don't want to interrupt her on the eggs, I put the water bowl right near her so she can drink if she needs to. I shouldn't be trying to identify and separate bad eggs should I because that's only going to disturb her right?? Heres a pic of her she looks like shes got it down pat. View attachment 312433

If you really want to help her out then remove the male. He may not eat the eggs but will surely cause stress for the female which can result in several health issues for her. You say you have another enclosure but its 'out of action'. Fix it then. What are you going to do with the hatches if you can't even manage to seperate the male?

Yeah I agree. You really need to move the male or he will likely harass the female, eat the babies and just having him in there would make her stressed and wary.

If the other enclosure is escape proof, then just give him heat, water and a hide and he will be fine in there untill the bubs come out. Even if it is a bit small, its not forever but it's the most important thing you can do right now

Buy a tub from bunnings and a 15 watt heat cord and get him out. Best thing you can do mate

Failing that. Buy a tub and put the tun with him in it in the same enclosure so he leaves her alone

Last edited by a moderator:
That supposed to be a shot at me Jamie for......... what exactly??? I haven't had any email alerts for some reason to say I had new messages on here so sorry I wasn't being an arrogant ***** by not responding to you guys. I appreciate the advice I get from you guys. My other enclosure the door exploded, its a product of stein enclosures after they went to **** but that's another story I don't have a spare 4 - 500 to fix it atm. Ive got the male at a friends house for the time being. Ive been peridocially spraying water into the enclosure and trying to keep the temp up around that 28 - 29 degrees. There is one egg that looks like it has gone brown and shriveled up so im guessing its bad??? should I be trying to get it out of there or just leave it? Don't wanna wreck the other eggs either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back