Spider ID Please :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay091

Reaction score
Hi, i got given this as a surprise pet as I've been wanting one for a long time, could someone please tell me the exact species ?

4tvo21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, yer i know its a Aus bird eating spider ( Tarantula ) i just wanted to know the actual type it is

My best guess is Phlogius crassipes, as the front legs appear to be thicker than the rest. Have a look and see if this is the case.

That was my first thought as well, i just wanted to know if anyone knew for sure.

This is definitely not a phlogius species. Its a selenotypus sp. for certain, maybe a sp. "gemfields", but without more images its hard to say. hope thats a help if your still seeking an ID.

I would say selenotypus i had one for 5yrs ..... great find

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

As others have said this is a Selenotypus sp. I'll back Nick with the "gemfields" call too.

Better add reasons though as per the forum rules - which also say don't reply if you are just guessing.

* Fourth legs longer than forelegs
* Large piloerect bristles on back two pairs of legs
* Caput (head region on carapace) highly elevated
* Fovea (line on thorax) is wider than ocular tubercle
* Elongated/ovular abdomen

I will also add that leg I is always thicker and stronger than leg IV in Selenotholus when compared to Selenotypus and so should not alone be used as an indicator of Phlogius.

Last edited:
As others have said this is a Selenotypus sp. I'll back Nick with the "gemfields" call too.

Better add reasons though as per the forum rules - which also say don't reply if you are just guessing.

* Fourth legs longer than forelegs
* Large piloerect bristles on back two pairs of legs
* Caput (head region on carapace) highly elevated
* Fovea (line on thorax) is wider than ocular tubercle
* Elongated/ovular abdomen

I will also add that leg I is always thicker and stronger than leg IV in Selenotholus when compared to Selenotypus and so should not alone be used as an indicator of Phlogius.

Great answer

Last edited:
Why have you opened a thread that is three and half years old in which a positive ID was made, with highly detailed reasons provided, and simply repeated the correct ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back