Shaking and jerking snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow-Serpent

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have a spotted python who is currently acting very strangely, normally I wouldn't be worried by slight changes in behavior but this is something else. I don't actually know the sex (I didn't exactly get him from a reliable source), but I'll refer to it as "him". His movements have become jerky and shaky, and he's unusually overactive. He's constantly pressing himself against the glass and the roof of the enclosure and he's been soaking in the water bowl more than usual.

Normally I'd take the obvious guess that he's over-heated, but because of the hot weather we're having lately he doesn't actually have the heating in his tank turned on. The room he's in has plenty of natural light and is well ventilated, I've even put the fan on for him for during the day.
He normally prefers to sleep in his cave all day, but for the past 24 hours he's just been upside down, pressed against the roof of the enclosure and following anyone who walks past the enclosure.

He's shed recently, I keep him well fed, the enclosure is in a low-traffic room, and he has no reason to be stressed. So what's with the jerking and shaking?

The person who I got him from told me that he's about 4 or 5 years old, and has never bitten in his life. And it's true, he normally is one of the most puppy-dog tame snakes, I've let young children handle him. He's not even viv defensive, you can just reach in and pick him up or adjust things and he's curious and friendly. But yesterday I went to fill up his water bowl (my hand was barely in the enclosure) and he bit the absolute crap about of me.

Summary: My normally placid and healthy snake is biting, overactive, jerking in his movements and shaking for no apparent reason - has anyone else encountered this kind of thing? Am I overlooking something? Because I've never had a snake that has showed these symptoms :?

P.S; although the person I got him from was a bit dodgy (and likely unlicensed), he normally seems to be a very healthy snake; no mites etc.

Thanks for any help you can give :)

-J

my first sugestion is putting ice cubes in the water and also maybe an ice pack with cloth wrapped around it
as for the biting my spotted has mood swings over long periods of time, when i first got him he was so shady but then he calmbed down, then out of the blue became slightly agressive for a few weeks and now hes like a puppy, maybe your's is going through a phase

I know you've said he's heating is off, but have you checked what the temperature is inside the enclosure? It sounds a lot like overheating to me.

how long has this been happening? is his behaviour normal in the mornings and worsening towards the afternoon?

It's possible that the temps aren't too hot, but hot enough to be unbearable, and without an area to cool down he could become quite stressed and defensive.

When you say he follows who ever walks past, is he in a defensive posture ie s-bends or puffing out his throat? Or does it seem more like "curiosity" I ask this because the warmer weather will speed up his motabalism, so if he's curious he has an appetite and most deffinately isn't overheated.

cheers.

Last edited:
You may find its just hormonal at this time of year more so if it is male, my female is just going 4yrs and even her behaviour is changing but its that time of year their minds are on other things :)

Sounds more sinister to me. Video the unusual behavior and take the footage and snake to a reptile vet. Importantly make sure you have your quarantine procedures in place.

Thank you so much for the helpful replies everyone, I'm thinking it was just the heat and maybe he's a little hungry. I've been feeding him day old chicks because apparently that's all he's ever had, but they're far too small for him so I'm going to put him on some rats and see how that goes. He is quarantined and has been since I got him, because the person I got him from wasn't exactly on the straight and narrow. I'll see what happens and update you guys if the behavior continues.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for the helpful replies everyone, I'm thinking it was just the heat and maybe he's a little hungry. I've been feeding him day old chicks because apparently that's all he's ever had, but they're far too small for him so I'm going to put him on some rats and see how that goes. He is quarantined and has been since I got him, because the person I got him from wasn't exactly on the straight and narrow. I'll see what happens and update you guys if the behavior continues.

Our spotted of 18 months recently did similar thing over two days finishing with giving himself a fat lip with the thrashing, basically was passing a huge fur turd that almost tore him a new ****, once it passed he came good. Just a thought

sounds more sinister to me. Video the unusual behavior and take the footage and snake to a reptile vet. Importantly make sure you have your quarantine procedures in place.
plus 1 :( ~b~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back