Knob Tail Gecko - poor condition?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWillieStyles

Reaction score
Hello all,

I purchased a Knobbie from a seller in Melbourne. The seller wasn't available when I picked up the lizard, instead, he got a family member to do it. The seller appeared to be very genuine and have a good knowledge of geckos.

I have since got it home and am concerned about the health of the gecko. The lizard appears to be quite thin and almost no tail fat. Apparently is only 4 months old.

The seller has refused to take it back, even if I were to allow him to keep some of the money.

What are your thoughts on this lizard?

10801993_10153375897657571_239720445294263100_n.jpg

10689772_10153375897537571_5275510491994947982_n.jpg

10675768_10153375897492571_4338922579259901711_n.jpg

Last edited:
This gecko is emaciated. Geckos aren't 'fatty' reptiles but this one needs some beefing up. It should respond quickly to regular feeding, and hopefully its major organs and skeletal structure haven't been compromised too much in its time in this condition. If the facts are correct, then unfortunately you copped a seller who isn't upstanding as a keeper or a credible reptile trader. Sadly sometimes people stuff up animals and quickly want to make $$ while they still can before they make a total loss when the animal comes to demise or face expensive vet treatments upon illness. Hopefully in this case you can turn the situation around. Going by the behaviour of the seller it is only a matter of time before he gets a bite in the rear if they try this with the wrong person!

Hi mate, curious to know who u bought that Levis off? as i have dealt with a dodgy seller in Melbourne also

I would put money on that this gecko will not survive. It should have never been sold in this condition. Full refund or chalk it down to experience.
But all you can do is spray it every second night, warm end 32 with hide, cool end with a moist hide. Do not give it deep sand to dig. About 1cm all over the enclosure but make sure he has a damp hide. I would get a bit of Hills Ad from the vet and give him a bit through a syringe. Start off with a very small amount. Being that skinny you could tip him over the edge but feeding too much. Give him a little every night. After a week or two maybe try an hand feed an insect. I would be giving him some calcium syrup too until you can dust his food.
He might be a gecko that was never meant to make it or just not cared for properly. Who knows.

I am not happy. The seller has done everything possible to avoid getting a return of the animal. He is a Melbourne seller and on these forums. Pm me if you wish to know. I would be keen to hear if others have had an issue with this seller.

I did get it to feed last night on a large cricket dusted with calcium. Also looking into getting some Wombaroo mixture for reptiles and syringing it to give it a bit more weight.

Last edited:
Thats really poor form on the sellers part. Hope the little one does better with you, kinda glad hes not taking it back because it would probably be really bad for the gecko. Considering its condition though, i still think he should refund your money for it (or at least a large portion of it) and let you keep it.

Mate contact dept of primary industries in vic and speak to the wildlife enforcement officers. Give them the sellers details. Please pm me the sellers name.

[MENTION=24758]BigWillieStyles[/MENTION], can you please private message the sellers name? I am glad also that the little cutie is in your care, and I bet you that it'll be nice and healthy in no time because of the care your giving to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back