Heat lamp constantly turning "on" & "off" due to timer

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirateherpss

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My heat lamp in my snake enclosure is constantly turning on & off. Literally every few minutes it turns itself off. Then back on. Then back off. .... This is due to the timer (that the heat lamp is connected to) regulating the temperature at around 28-30 degrees. So once it cools down, the heat turns on, then when it hits the right temperature it turns off.

Wouldn't this get so annoying for my JCP?.. his light constantly flickering throughout the day?

I mean damn! its even annoying me...

... My question is, is it alright/normal for this to be happening???

Last edited:
Sounds normal to me.

Its trying to keep the tank at the temperature you set it to be at, thus the on off all the time.

I'm assuming you're talking about a thermostat rather than a timer. A timer doesn't control temperature.

It won't annoy the snake but it will significantly reduce the life of the globe. You're much better off either getting a ceramic emitter, heat panel or heat cord or changing a dimming thermostat.

Where have you got your thermostat located or the probe of the thermostat located within the enclosure?

I would have the probe in the middle of the enclosure. As an example you'd set the temp in the middle to be say 25 c you know then it will be cooler than 25 at the cold end and depending on what wattage globe you use should be up around 30 c or so at the hot end. By having the probe in the middle of the enclosure will limit the amount your globe turns on and off!
hope this helps
Chris

Last edited:
You could also switch to a Night Heat Lamp which are a blue coloured globe. I use the Reptile One brand night heat lamps and they emulate moonlight conditions. You barely notice them on most of the time and unlike infra red globes don't give you that knock shop look glowing through your windows.

thats actually a really good idea!.. I'm going to do that. haha cheers

- - - Updated - - -

As for the other answers, using another globe sounds alright, depending on the price i guess. Ill have to wait till my current globe busts until i experiment with new ones. thanks for the helpful answers though!

Move the probe to the centre of the enclosure. What's the enclosure made from? Adding insulation would make the temperature more stable.

Use a dimming thermo instead, as saximus suggested.
On/Off thermos aren't designed for lights. The dimming thermo should increase your globes lifespan also, compared to an on/off one.
I find lights annoying, always replacing them and they aren't cheap either. Heat cords for the win! haha.

Get rid of the on/off thermo and use a dimming thermo. Problem solved, also won't blow your globes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back