taming an aggressive python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qwetzal

I have recently acquired 3 northern diamonds which are 2 and 3yo, and i have found two of them to be quite aggressive. I am not sure if it's cage defensive or food responsive although they calm down considerably when taken out of their quarantine tubs. The previous owner didnt seem to handle them much. One female once I manage to grab her tail and lift her out is fine, but the other female I have a hard time even touching her without her spinning round trying to tag me. I have gotten her out 3 times the past 2 weeks and she seemed fine then, but she is such a hassle to get out. Does anyone have any tips for handling and getting them out of being so aggressive? I don't have a snake hook at the moment which probably doesn't help but I'm hoping to get one in the next week and I am also upgrading them to 4ft tanks once I get some light fittings for them which won't take long.

How long have you had them? How long did they get to settle? And yeah you'll find a snake hook works wonders,one of my carpets is abit cage defensive but very calm once out of enclosure.

Last edited:
Let them settle in, feed and heat them appropriately and use a snake hook and you will have no issues.

leave them a good week or two completely alone to settle, and a snake hook and you'll be much more able to handle them, even if they stay a little aggressive.

if you have to wait for a snake hook i would be trying to utilise somehting at home or you can always try the hardware shops in the meantime as alot of handles/rods etc are a good substitute there have been a few threads on here if you search you should find them.

I finally got some snake hooks. i asked the breeder some questions and he said that he cooled them all except the male over winter, so Im thinking they are just highly food responsive. One of the bigger females i can get out without the hook no problems now, as long as im quick and she doesnt realise the hand is in her enclosure. The other one seems a bit hesitant when being handled, and tightens around me occasionally, and once when trying to uncoil her she chewed my wrist, so i think she just hasnt been handled much and stresses a bit. She has been getting calmer over the weeks i have been handling her, and her bites arent overly painful so idm, but i wont be letting friends hold her thats for sure haha. Thanks for the help guys, snake hooks make things alot easier thats for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back