Baby Pink Tongue Skinks missing tail

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sp.michael

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've just had some baby pink tongues born and 2 of the lizards seems to have been born with only half a tail. They still move around well and all the others seem healthy. Has this happened before and will the babies be ok?

Interesting have u got any pics? I had one that was born with a slightly deformed tail but didn't survive

They seem to be doing fine so far, moving around and eating well. The first picture is of the lizard with a missing tail, the second is of 2 of the normal babies, and the third is a close up of the same missing tail.

IMG_1055.JPGIMG_1054.JPGIMG_1057.JPG

Do pink tongues grow their tail back at all?

The one I had had a slightly kinked tail.... Yeh Id say there was issues when it was developing but looks like it won't affect it. Nah they don't drop their tails like other skinks. If you notice when you handle them they will kind of grip on to your finger with their tail.... They are very good climbers and can use their tails to hold on to branches when they are young. As they get older they don't seem to use their tails as much

If the tail was bitten off it will regrow. If it was a birth defect it can't grow more tail past the natural end of the tail.
They are not likely to drop a tail but all skinks, even Bluetongues regrow a tail which is cut off by some form of attack. They never regrow like the oringinal so will end up with a shorter less patterned replacement.
My first baby Pink Tongues were with both parents in the enclosure and I sespect the male bit the tail off two which are pictured. Since this first time I remove the gravid female to her own enclosure till she has the babies and then return her to the males enclosure.
The one with the shortest tail seemed fine and suddenly a died a few days later. The bite may have hit the body as well and caused internal damage.
The other was fine and a picture is attached of the regrown tail.

Attachments

• pts-6babys-18-11-12.jpg
    pts-6babys-18-11-12.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 75
  • pinkregen-tailback2.jpg
    pinkregen-tailback2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back