opinions heatcord vs heatlight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morants

Reaction score
Hi we are in the process of upgrading enclosures, what are peoples thoughts on using heat cord under tiles vs heat lights, have people used this before and have they noticed any difference? at the moment our smaller pythons in the rack have heat cord and our bigger pythons in enclosures have heat lamps, what say you?

Heat mat/cord is prob fine in most cases for hatchys the only time I've used both a mat and lamp was for a large glass enclosure In winter,lamp basically keeps ambient temps up but that would change depending on location? I'm on the Gold Coast. As for just using a heat lamp vs mat/cord your gonna use more power with lamp probably.

Last edited:
Heat mat or cord would work better for antaresias. I know some people use either of them for morelias, but a lamp or CHE is better IMO.

I prefer spotlight globes, gives you good ambient temps, an exact basking spot, and lights up the enclosure really well. Cheap as chips aswell (the globes that is, not so much the power bills lol)

I'm in far north nsw , the new enclosures will be melamine 1250mm x 650mm x 650mm, I've used CHE before but they failed to heat properly and the pythons stopped eating, but admittedly I did live in young nsw at the time and it was winter, so the day time temps were considerably lower than where we live now. Anybody who just uses heat cords what is your opinion please

I've switched all my enclosures bar 1 to heat cord slotted into a routered piece of timber with a tile over. In my opinion it's a much more effective way to heat, you are providing good belly warmth and a hot spot without wasting electricity on the whole enclosure. In cooler weather my pythons sit on the tile and in warmer weather they will find a spot in the enclosure that suits their thermal requirements.

I'm in far north nsw , the new enclosures will be melamine 1250mm x 650mm x 650mm, I've used CHE before but they failed to heat properly and the pythons stopped eating, but admittedly I did live in young nsw at the time and it was winter, so the day time temps were considerably lower than where we live now. Anybody who just uses heat cords what is your opinion please

Yeah it does get cold in young, I had the same problem when I lived in grenfell, I solved the problem by installing a second fitting on the opposite end of the enclosure and used a lower wattage (25watt standard incandescent) globe, had ceramic heat emitters for night. Only had the one python then so wasn't an issue swapping globes over. Two thermostats was a bit over kill though.

cheers.

Ive used heat cords for about 8 years now. Never had a problem. Tried globes on my carpets, years ago and got sick of changing globes real bloody quick. Learn to love the cord, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back