How can i get my boy to eat again after months of coming out of hibernation?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A thermometer is used to measure temperature. A thermostat turns your heating element off and on to regulate heat. Depending upon the size of the heat mat it may or may not provide an adequate basking spot. Also a heat mat generally should not be exposed directly to the snake - it should be placed under something else or even the cage itself. As stated earlier, keeping temps up in a glass cage is very difficult. I keep mine in melamine cages with heat panels however globes or ceramic bulbs will also do the job.

I have the mat under the the fish tank. ive been wanted to try the caged light but im not sure the tank would handle it. and im trying to find a decent better cage for him that will house him as hes just over 5ft

Given the heat mat is underneath the glass bottom I'm unsure just how much heat would actually get through - probably not enough. Pop your probe on top of this basking spot and measure it. I'm unsure what you mean by caged light. Do you mean like a bulb socket with a mesh box protector on it? I'm also unsure what you mean by you aren't sure if the cage will handle it. All you need is a cage 4 foot long 2 foot deep and 4 foot high. If nobody is selling any second hand maybe you or someone you know can knock one together. Get the wood cut at bunnings and go for it.

yeah I mean the bulb socket with the mesh over it, and being a glass tank it might crack it

Oh ok well I can't provide any advice there as I only use wooden cages. If you are concerned about that maybe some heat cord could be used with a melamine slab to create a suitable hot spot in the cage until another cage can be sorted.

Definitely looks like you don't have enough heat. I don't see why an overhead heat source should crack the tank, unless you have it smack against the glass. If you locate it towards one end, but central in the lid, it should be fine. You'll need to have some sort of thermostat - Young is bloody hot in the summer and very cold in winter, so you need to moderate those extremes throughout the year. Remember that too much heat can kill your snake within an hour or two if it hasn't got the means of getting away from the heat.

You'll need a basking spot in the low to mid-thirties.

Jamie

Hey I have just done some research and the temp has to be round 38 for him to eat. I have decided to wait till its around the 30s before giving him food its currently on 29.1 and that was with the light off. so im guessing it would of gone up to the 30s

- - - Updated - - -

and has anyone ever tried if he he doesn't wanna eat inside his cage would he eat outside of it?

- - - Updated - - -

and has anyone ever tried if he doesn't wanna eat inside his cage would he eat outside of it?

If he won't eat in his cage he won't eat out of it. Give him the right temps for a week before you bother trying to feed him again.

Hey I have just done some research and the temp has to be round 38 for him to eat. I have decided to wait till its around the 30s before giving him food its currently on 29.1 and that was with the light off. so im guessing it would of gone up to the 30s

- - - Updated - - -

and has anyone ever tried if he he doesn't wanna eat inside his cage would he eat outside of it?

- - - Updated - - -

and has anyone ever tried if he doesn't wanna eat inside his cage would he eat outside of it?

I would be doing that research again....
Go with what Pythoninfinite said....

38 is too hot for a python in an enclosed space - max around 34 will be fine. If you go to 38, the heat build-up on hot days will become very dangerous for the animal.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back