Missing Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Velxinone

Today ive woken up to my snake doing the great escape, and im not quite sure where she could be, Could anyone assist me in some areas i could look as this is my first snake ive checked the following

• Kitchen " refrigerator "
  • Around the tank area
  • Basically the whole lounge room
  • Pulled apart my couch and checked the recliners

How far could she travel from her enclosure?

She was on weekly food but since i put her on hopper rats ive made it fortnightly and shes about due for a feed. as i checked her lastnight and she was snappy.

If i purchase a Mouse and put it in a see through container could this attract her to come out and attempt to feed on it?

Shes only a juvenile as shes 1 year on the 14th of Feb

They usually don't go far what's the closest warm area? Also how did he escape?

They usually don't go far what's the closest warm area? Also how did he escape?

The closest warm area would be her home as its sitting on a heat pad, other then that i would say the fridge but ive looked behind it and around it and i see nothing, only thing i could think of is there is a small hole near the cupboard kicker connecting the to skirting of the wall that she could slip into but nothing warm behind that,

Or there is my lounge room TV area which also had a Christmas tree on over night.

other then that there is nothing for a good 5 meters +

As for how did she escape, im unsure if i left the door open lastnight or if she opened it some how.
i usually open from the top of the cage but sometimes i open from the front and last night i remember i opened it from the front and top but im pretty sure i closed both places correctly.

Check behind fridges/freezers under oven, hot water system, or anywhere that will provide a heat source. If the gaps under doors are big enough for it to fit through it may be gone. A young spotted python of mine escaped from its enclosure and it was coiled up inside the back of my fridge, I didn't see it the first time I checked but when I checked again with a torch I found him in there all snugged up. Turning all your lights off at night and searching for him with a torch while it's active is a good idea. It may be attracted to a rodent in a Chinese container that you've punctured in a few places to allow the scent to escape but it's a long shot.

good luck, cheers.

No worries might pay to get some sort of locking mechanism if possible. Unfortunately as you probably know snakes love small holes and dark places so he might've gotten behind skirting. I had a ball python that got out and under floorboards in bathroom I had to take panels off the bath and put a dead gerbil down to try and lure her out she eventually came out after a month of trying. Consequently I've been very vigilant since. you could try same trick as me ( went through heaps of gerbils )

No worries might pay to get some sort of locking mechanism if possible. Unfortunately as you probably know snakes love small holes and dark places so he might've gotten behind skirting. I had a ball python that got out and under floorboards in bathroom I had to take panels off the bath and put a dead gerbil down to try and lure her out she eventually came out after a month of trying. Consequently I've been very vigilant since. you could try same trick as me ( went through heaps of gerbils )

Would it be a smart idea if i turn my aircon on to force her to go to a warm place?

Not sure could work depending on where the snakes gone might have opposite affect ( eg snake will stay where it is hidden)

ill keep looking but im worried i wont find her :(

Yeah its a stressful time just have to be vigilant and keep looking some people have had snakes turn up 3/4 months later what type if snake is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Also any cats or dogs around? And the mouse in tub with holes idea might work.

Try having a warm spot and turn aircon on. Check curtain railings and anything it could be in. Hand bags etc. You can also try leaving plastic bags or talcum powder on the floor to see where it might be moving around.
Snakemisstress I don't think your post was very helpful, maybe practicing being nice would suit you.

Last edited:
Yeah its a stressful time just have to be vigilant and keep looking some people have had snakes turn up 3/4 months later what type if snake is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Also any cats or dogs around? And the mouse in tub with holes idea might work.

Yeah But they are outside pets. Only pet inside was the snake but ill keep trying to find her i have purchased a live mouse and its in a box to try and get her to show herself but it seems i have found a lazy mouse xD cause all it wants to do is shut up and sleep. " but i guess it might be more active at night. "

Try having a warm spot and turn aircon on. Check curtain railings and anything it could be in. Hand bags etc. You can also try leaving plastic bags or talcum powder on the floor to see where it might be moving around.
Snakemisstress I don't think your post was very helpful, maybe practicing being nice would suit you.

What ive done so far is Place her heat pad in the kitchen where i think she could have gone put the mouse next to the heat pad and her rock so if she comes out she can either attempt to attack the mouse or lay on the pad under her rock. ill apply some power near the pad so if he makes off i can try and follow the trail.

Other then that im worried she could have found a hole and vanished never to been seen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happened to me with my first python. I luckily found him near the hot water system. Fingers crossed you find your little guy. I know of people who have lost them forever, but also a handful of people that have found them again, like myself. Even had one friend find theirs 5 years later, after a call from their neighbour saying there was a snake in their bathroom...
Best of luck mate

What kind of snake? I'd be checking the xmas tree..regularly.

Happened to me with my first python. I luckily found him near the hot water system. Fingers crossed you find your little guy. I know of people who have lost them forever, but also a handful of people that have found them again, like myself. Even had one friend find theirs 5 years later, after a call from their neighbour saying there was a snake in their bathroom...
Best of luck mate
My hot water system is outside and Ive looked there a few times.

What kind of snake? I'd be checking the xmas tree..regularly.
As for the christmas tree its around 8 meters away from her home and i would say the fridge is closer by far but ill still keep trying the tree &

She's a Bredli this is her when i first got her in july

301e232aed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My hot water system is outside and Ive looked there a few times.

Yep, mine is/was outside also. She could be anywhere. Check every tight little hidy hole you can find basically. (Note the emphases on 'little') She will fit into a space, that you would bet a million dollars she would not fit into, so check EVERY little place you can find :) Other than that there is not much you can really do, maybe your mouse/rat bait trick? Just keep your fingers crossed. You never know when she will turn up. Best of luck once again.

Id like to report i have found my lovely Elsa Rose, She made a dash for my daughters room and some how ended up on top of her play kitchen Kinda scared the crap out of me as i was not expecting her to be there.

Id like to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who handed me advice on where to look, ill be sure to make sure she does not do this again as it worried me so much, she might be my first snake but by sure id be lost without her

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Have found that if you try to find it you won't, the day you stop looking is when it will show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back