My jag python is a darwin or a jungle? or coastal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JIAAO

Reaction score
I bought my female python months ago, and been told she is a jag. but the breeder didn't tell me the details. so anybody knows she is a darwin, jungle or belong to others? thx a lot.

IMG_5288.JPG$_20 (4).JPG

Most likely a Jungle based jag, but the simple fact is jags have been bred across so many sub species over the years that unless lineage is guaranteed and established at purchase, you'll never know.
Most have 2-3 sub species genetics in them these days at least...

Mate I wouldn't worry too much about what it is or where it came from and can tell you that you'll get "it looks like this or that", " it's a possible cross between x and y" and you might even get told that it's an "intergrade" (no such thing in my book). You won't get a concise answer here because a lot of the members wouldn't have a real clue what it is.

I've got spilota that are identical to this critter and their ancestors are originally from the mid north coast of NSW. In fact over the years, just to prove a point to friends I have bred "carpets" from selected mid north coast lineage and produced snakes that people have told me are Jungles, Proserpines, Darwins, Carpet/Diamond intergrades, Murray Darlings, Northern Diamonds (whatever they are) and even WA carpets.

The taxonomy used to describe some of the group as sub-species and elevate others to species level is very, very questionable. Other names (ie; Jags, Zebras, Northern Diamonds etc are just commercial names used for marketing). From the evidence that is available at the moment it appears that all the Morelia spilota group are in fact the same snake whether they come from Eden on the south coast of NSW, Coffs Harbour, Lightning Ridge, Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin or Uppercumbuccer West.

Be content in that what you do have is a rather nice looking snake of the Morelia spilota group.

Cheers,

George.

aka pet snake with spinning qualities......(hope the breeder explained these qualities)

Mate I wouldn't worry too much about what it is or where it came from and can tell you that you'll get "it looks like this or that", " it's a possible cross between x and y" and you might even get told that it's an "intergrade" (no such thing in my book). You won't get a concise answer here because a lot of the members wouldn't have a real clue what it is.

I've got spilota that are identical to this critter and their ancestors are originally from the mid north coast of NSW. In fact over the years, just to prove a point to friends I have bred "carpets" from selected mid north coast lineage and produced snakes that people have told me are Jungles, Proserpines, Darwins, Carpet/Diamond intergrades, Murray Darlings, Northern Diamonds (whatever they are) and even WA carpets.

The taxonomy used to describe some of the group as sub-species and elevate others to species level is very, very questionable. Other names (ie; Jags, Zebras, Northern Diamonds etc are just commercial names used for marketing). From the evidence that is available at the moment it appears that all the Morelia spilota group are in fact the same snake whether they come from Eden on the south coast of NSW, Coffs Harbour, Lightning Ridge, Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin or Uppercumbuccer West.

Be content in that what you do have is a rather nice looking snake of the Morelia spilota group.

Cheers,

George.
Would you keep a diamond at the same temps you would keep a Darwin George?

Cheers,

George.

this is the kind of 'helpful' advice on here you'd do well to ignore....

this is the kind of 'helpful' advice on here you'd do well to ignore....

Why, they asked what they had and I did nothing more than tell them the truth. I reckon it's the best advice they can get. They are not asking how to look after it, they are asking what it is.

Your suggestion that it might be a "Jungle based Jag" is the advice that they should ignore. No one can tell what it is or where it came from unless they know the background of its parents. If anything it's just a guess. Jags are a manufactured product designed for the pet trade and by no means are recognised as subspecies as suggested. Must have hit a nerve or something.

I think that taxonomists are so obsessed with describing a new subspecies and/or elevating others to species level they forget to look outside the box and can't see the bleeding obvious.

The extensive variations of colours and patterns present throughout the group is all to do with survival and thermoregulation within particular habitats they occupy individually and have no bearing on the taxonomy of the group what so ever. The taxonomy used to describe the sub-species and elevate others to species level is questionable because it is based on the number of mid body scales, supralabials, infralabials and labial pits which if one cares to have a look are so variable within the group itself, is insufficient to confirm each taxon. Glen Shea currently has a student who has been looking at this for about 12 or so months and the data obtained to date appear to confirm this. It is also my understanding that even recent DNA analysis has shown that there is not enough evidence to confirm the alleged sub-species and that the slight difference that has been identified to elevate others to species level may not actually be enough to do so.

George.

I think I have to agree with George here. Taxonomists seem to have become obsessive "splitters" in the past 20+ years, with the advent of DNA research potential. Very little of what they do (except with very obvious cases, such as the new Taipan) makes a jot of difference to anything at all. It's become a self-sustaining industry in its own right - they do it just because they can.

I totally agree with George's comments about Morelia sp, except I would say that M.s. imbricata is a fairly obvious variation to the "east coast norm." The continuum of Carpets, from northern Victoria (Diamonds), right up the east coast and across the top into the Kimberley MUST be closely related, if not genetically identical. Really, the only reason I firmly differentiate between Diamonds, Intergrades and Coastals is purely on pattern, which will give you a rough idea or their geographic origin, and these patterns have probably developed over eons to suit particular environmental niches, just as the southern snakes (Diamonds, SW Carpets) have developed to cope with relatively cool environments, and the Intergrades, Jungles, "Darwins" etc have evolved to require warmer climes.

Jamie

If you cross a Darwin with a Diamond what temperature should the resultant progeny be kept at? Will the appearance of the progeny indicate the preferred temperature range?

Why, they asked what they had and I did nothing more than tell them the truth. I reckon it's the best advice they can get. They are not asking how to look after it, they are asking what it is.

Your suggestion that it might be a "Jungle based Jag" is the advice that they should ignore. No one can tell what it is or where it came from unless they know the background of its parents. If anything it's just a guess. Jags are a manufactured product designed for the pet trade and by no means are recognised as subspecies as suggested. Must have hit a nerve or something.

I think that taxonomists are so obsessed with describing a new subspecies and/or elevating others to species level they forget to look outside the box and can't see the bleeding obvious.

The extensive variations of colours and patterns present throughout the group is all to do with survival and thermoregulation within particular habitats they occupy individually and have no bearing on the taxonomy of the group what so ever. The taxonomy used to describe the sub-species and elevate others to species level is questionable because it is based on the number of mid body scales, supralabials, infralabials and labial pits which if one cares to have a look are so variable within the group itself, is insufficient to confirm each taxon. Glen Shea currently has a student who has been looking at this for about 12 or so months and the data obtained to date appear to confirm this. It is also my understanding that even recent DNA analysis has shown that there is not enough evidence to confirm the alleged sub-species and that the slight difference that has been identified to elevate others to species level may not actually be enough to do so.

George.

Exactly what I said in my post if you bothered to read it properly.

If you cross a Darwin with a Diamond what temperature should the resultant progeny be kept at? Will the appearance of the progeny indicate the preferred temperature range?

Not sure what this question means Warwick. My guess is that you keep them at whatever temps you like, and see if they thrive over a decade. There truly isn't much difference between the needs of Diamonds or Darwins (or any other pythons for that matter), but some have niche requirements, such as extra cooling over winter for the more southern ones. My point was that colour and patterns evolve over many generations. If humans interfere with clades that would otherwise never come into contact with each other, I don't think the resulting colours & patterns can give you any definitive info on their management.

Jamie

Jamie, It is generally accepted that Diamonds prefer a lower temperature regime ( say25=28c). than Darwins (say28-35c) and that Diamonds kept at high temperatures may "burn out". I doubt that the colour of a snake indicates which parent it has thrown to, in terms of temperature requirements, and so there there may be a quandry as to the desirable temperture ranges required by crossbreds.. This is not an arguement, just a comment!

I would never argue with you Warwick!:) What I was suggesting was that through the warmer months, Diamonds may, in fact, encounter far higher temps (into the 40s) in their southern localities, than, say, "Darwins" ever do (across the top, coastally, temps rarely go above 35, and are usually in the low thirties), but it's the nights and the winters that truly vary in those localities. If I was into crossbreeds and had a Darwin/Diamond cross (yechhh) I would initially keep them as an "average" python, and see how it progressed - but as we know, Diamonds kept at higher ("average" python) temps may take a number of years to show signs of burn-out. I totally agree that colour/pattern of such an unnatural cross would give no indication of long-term husbandry requirements. But I still believe that the geographic variation demonstrated by the east coast spread of Morelia sp. is evolutionary, and generally reflects the particular niches in which these animals live, otherwise why wouldn't they all be the same?

Jamie

I think the point was to argue that there are no subspecies is wrong, as they have sufficiently different living requirements to indicate they are genetically removed enough to be subspecies rather than just differently patterned.

I think the point was to argue that there are no subspecies is wrong, as they have sufficiently different living requirements to indicate they are genetically removed enough to be subspecies rather than just differently patterned.

I have to disagree with your hypothesis that, in captivity, they have different living requirements. With the exception of Diamonds, I have kept all "subspecies" and bredli in exactly the same conditions, very successfully, for years. Day time hot spot of 33-34, ambient night time lows (year-round is OK, but you can have night heat if you want) and ambient humidity - I have never actively monitored or managed humidity. They all live, feed & breed very routinely under those conditions. Your suggestion that living requirements may be indicators of genetic variation needs explanation. Surely DNA analysis is the sole determinant of genetic variability.

Jamie

as they have sufficiently different living requirements to indicate they are genetically removed enough to be subspecies rather than just differently patterned.

WHAT? I don't think so. As Jamie indicates with the possible exception of M sp sp. they can all survive quite well under the same captive conditions as outlined. Even in the wild their living requirements, as you put it, are exactly the same.

Ever consider that the reason they are the most successful Python on the Australian Continent might have something to do with their genetic ability to produce colours and patterns to suit the multitude of habitats and environments they occupy.

The method used and accepted to describe subspecies of Ozzie herps is extremely poor and open to abuse by taxonomists. They also forget that there are many other factors to consider (such as unassailable geographic barriers and isolation) when it comes to species level.

FYI I know the authors of the 1980's Synopsis that first described the Morelia subspecies and elevated others to species level and know for a fact that it wasn't actually done to just reclassify the Australian herpetofauna. It was undertaken to prove a point. The point being that the reclassification of Australian Herps needed to be done and could be undertaken by a non-academic using the very minimal accepted methods. It was submitted and accepted and as a result there was a massive outcry from the academics of the time who, in turn, unsuccessfully attempted to have it suppressed. That is why we currently have the dilemma with the Morelia sp group today.

If anyone can put up a good, intelligent argument why the subspecies and species should stand then I'm open to changing my mind.

Have a good one,

George.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with your hypothesis that, in captivity, they have different living requirements. With the exception of Diamonds, I have kept all "subspecies" and bredli in exactly the same conditions, very successfully, for years. Day time hot spot of 33-34, ambient night time lows (year-round is OK, but you can have night heat if you want) and ambient humidity - I have never actively monitored or managed humidity. They all live, feed & breed very routinely under those conditions. Your suggestion that living requirements may be indicators of genetic variation needs explanation. Surely DNA analysis is the sole determinant of genetic variability.

Jamie

WHAT? I don't think so. As Jamie indicates with the possible exception of M sp sp. they can all survive quite well under the same captive conditions as outlined. Even in the wild their living requirements, as you put it, are exactly the same.

Ever consider that the reason they are the most successful Python on the Australian Continent might have something to do with their genetic ability to produce colours and patterns to suit the multitude of habitats and environments they occupy.

The method used and accepted to describe subspecies of Ozzie herps is extremely poor and open to abuse by taxonomists. They also forget that there are many other factors to consider (such as unassailable geographic barriers and isolation) when it comes to species level.

FYI I know the authors of the 1980's Synopsis that first described the Morelia subspecies and elevated others to species level and know for a fact that it wasn't actually done to just reclassify the Australian herpetofauna. It was undertaken to prove a point. The point being that the reclassification of Australian Herps needed to be done and could be undertaken by a non-academic using the very minimal accepted methods. It was submitted and accepted and as a result there was a massive outcry from the academics of the time who, in turn, unsuccessfully attempted to have it suppressed. That is why we currently have the dilemma with the Morelia sp group today.

If anyone can put up a good, intelligent argument why the subspecies and species should stand then I'm open to changing my mind.

Have a good one,

George.

To the both of you;
It was not MY argument - it was me clarifying wokka's statement. I never said it - or agreed with, merely explained it.

Again; can you please thoroughly read what people have written before replying an a jerkish fashion.

To the both of you;
It was not MY argument - it was me clarifying wokka's statement. I never said it - or agreed with, merely explained it.

Again; can you please thoroughly read what people have written before replying an a jerkish fashion.

Good handball.

Well maybe you should have just butted out and let Jamie and Wokka sort it out? I'm sure Wokka's big enough to speak for himself, I know Jamie is. Harden up Sunshine. If you can't stand the fire then you'd better get out of the kitchen. I might add that don't take too kindly being referred to as a jerk by some clown that hides behind his computer.

So what you guys are saying is that a jungle python
python will grow to the same size as a coastal in captivity? Because they are essentially the same snake and removed from environmental conditions such as availability of food there will be no difference in size of any of the group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back