New Bredli Python handling help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InternetSheep

Reaction score
I bought a April 2 014 born Bredli python yesterday 3/01/2015 making it approximately 8 months old. Reading online I have seen a couple things saying that you shouldn't handle them within 1-2 weeks since it may stress them out and make them aggressive. This to me seems rather strange because my new Bredli shows no signs of stress whatsoever I can just reach into his new enclosure and gently pick him up without him striking at me and I can hold him for ages and he just explores and tastes everything he comes across. Can anybody please clear this up for me? To me handling it more would make it more placid much like a bird, but this is my first snake so I thought I better ask some knowledgeable people. I personally think he's doing fine with all the attention.

Its one of those things that some people will argue for and against mate. Personally I believe regardless of the current demeanor of your snake, its always best to leave it be for the first week or so on the basis of "better safe than sorry".

Good luck and congrats on your Bredli

Ok thanks man, is there any other tips you can share to a new python owner?

Just don't overthink it. Get the temps right, keep the cage clean, always have access to water, feed appropriately and you'll be sweet. On the snakes nature/handling, in my experience no amount of handling really does anything. Some snakes are just inherently aggressive and some calm. As they grow snake hooks are great tools as some snakes can get jumpy if they aren't aware you have entered their enclosure. A simple tap and pick up with the hook lets them know and you can handle from there. Sounds like you might be onto a calmer snake there. Give it a week or so just to get settled in.

I have no where near the experience with snakes to probably 95% of the peeps on here although I have breed beardies for 8 years. I got my juvi diamond 4 months ago and like you have handled her everyday since day one except for feeding days and when she looks like she's about to shed. She has never struck out or been aggressive and had fed perfectly every time. So it seems some need time to adjust and others just go with the flow.

Our girl has now been handled by everyone in the extended family from 5 yr olds to 70 she just seems to love to explore.

Your grace is also that you have a Bredli, in my opinion the best of the Morelia for temperament and beginner snakes, though I may be slightly biased :p

Your grace is also that you have a Bredli, in my opinion the best of the Morelia for temperament and beginner snakes, though I may be slightly biased :p
+1 mine were handled everyday from the second week and have been very well tempered mind you I asked for the best novice owners snake and have been very happy ever since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back