Snakes and rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharelle

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My husband has a diamond, carpet cross that is a lovely snake that we keep in a glass tank in our dinning room. The question that I have is am I able to keep a pet rat in the house without it upsetting the snake? And of course if I do what precautions do I need to take?

Thanks for your help
Sharelle

Hi I've had snakes in a different room to my sisters pet rats didn't seem to bother them at all.

i myself had heaps of problems it all just depends on the snake my MD turned into a psychopath along with my albino Darwin yet the other 9 didn't affect them at all

As long as the snake can't smell it(i.e. different rooms some distance apart, preferably with a few doors in between) you should be pretty right. Keeping your snake well fed will help too.

I have my Rats downstairs and my Snakes/Lizards upstairs, problem solved :) I just make sure I don't handle my Pythons after handling Rats eg keeping hands/body washed after handling rats also changing clothes if you are like me and let your rats climb over you etc

Have had rats breeding in the same room as the snake, was a bother at first until we moved the rat enclosures further away from the snake tank, she settled down after that and stopped hanging around the top trying to get out to get to them.

We also put up a bit a board/chopping board against the side of the enclosure facing her tank so as they couldn't see each other but the distance was more effective, the rats didn't seem to care about the snake though, didn't go shying away to the opposite side of the enclosure etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back