Feeding snakes in their enclosure or out of it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to feed mine outside their enclosure. Partly because in one of my tanks I have two snakes housed together, and partly because one of them likes to make a hell of a mess with his food. He likes to make sure his food is well and truly dead, and sometimes squeezes too tight. He has pulled heads off and split stomachs open. This combined with the fact that he drags his food while he is eating it makes for a very messy tank. I also have one that occasionally hides the food if he doesn't eat it.

I don't have a set tub or box that I feed them in, sometimes they get fed on the clothes horse, sometimes it is on a towel on the floor, sometimes in a cardboard box, sometimes in my laundry hamper. I've even had one eat on my hand (not my preferred method, but he wouldn't let me go. He was wrapped around my arms.)

Personally, I think it depends on what substrate is being used. I fed my blonde in the enclosure once with rock like kitty litter substrate & he got 2 "pebbles" stuck in his jaw. Was a bit of a delicate effort to remove them. I think as long as you put newspaper down first & entice your snake to feed on the newspaper, it's fine. It's also easier to take the newspaper out when the meal is completed so no residue is left over.

i think feeding outside the tub is the way to go, only because it gives me a perfect opportunity to give the enclosure a proper and thorough clean out. cheers for all the helpful info though

i always make sure their food is given to them from above... that way they are more likely to strike the food before your hand... this is made easy by holding the tales...

if you feeding them something like rabbits i say goodluck to you sir!

This is after she eats, when trying to put her back into the enclosure. Bottom line is - Been feeding inside now for almost 8 months and NEVER got bitten and never felt like she thought my hand is food! (So far lol) So my personal opinion is NO DIFFERENCE!

And Stopthatsnake its "Good luck to you lady ;) )

I don't think it makes a difference i've done it both ways and haven't noticed a change in my snakes, It's really just personal preference :)

I feed in the enclosure. I use hooks to tap when I'm coming in to handle or clean.

Call me crazy but wouldn't you be more likely to be bitten by your snakes if you have the smell or rats in the air and then take your snakes out 1 at a time ( when they are hungry ) to feed and if thats not enough, putting them back when they are still in food mode? Or you could cut out all that crap and just through a rat in the cage? If they can be trained to not go you when you open the door by feeding out side the cage I would think by that way of thinking then every time you take the snake out it would think its going to be feed and there for want to bite you?
Just my 2c lol

had snakes for 40 years and never take them out to feed them ..... and i dont know anyone who does.

What ever suits you the best. Keep a few venomous snakes some fed in their enclosures, some out & some in their hide/trap boxes. Keep 2 diamonds together but separate when feeding.

Just to add to this discussion. At one time after feeding him, my carpet python went to a great deal of trouble to place his belly, with the rat bulge, as close as possible to the heat lamp. Then I obviously turned the heat up. The rat was fully thawed, and warm.
I'm assuming a stretched belly needs heat to be more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back