Variation in egg size and viability

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illium

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a batch of 5 monitor eggs incubating for about 2 months now.
When deposited 2 were a little smaller than then the others.

As usual I incubated all anyway expecting the 2 to fail, especially as the smallest dimpled a fair bit, almost looking dehydrated.

Now the three larger have swollen up nicely but the other 2 look relatively unchanged, they are about half the size of the other 3, smallest even still has an indent.

However I decided to candle last night for the hell of it and it looks like the smallest 2 are just as developed as the larger, even noticed a little movement.

Wondering if other people come across this often and if I should expect a higher chance of mortality at hatching or just a smaller Hatchie.

Curious is all.
Cheers.

if they are dehydrated you can get a damp bordering on dry papertowel and lay it over the affected egg :)

Don't think they are, just had/have that look. The other eggs are perfectly fine and im using the suspension over water method so not an issue of unequal distribution.

Turns out the smaller eggs hatch first.

Pic is of they eggs at 2.5 months.
Smallest egg hatched a week ago, the rest hatched today.

No issues with any of the young.

Hard to tell in the pic but the top left was almost half the overall volume of the others. The one to the right of it was next smallest and hatched a day before the other 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back