What is wrong with his scales?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nocturnalze

Reaction score
Hi, so Google is not helping me with this.
Prior to its last shed about 3wks ago it a few discoloured scales on its head, not shiny and perfect like the rest, I assumed they were old scales left from the previous shed maybe? after it shed were gone and looked normal, but not for long maybe a week and the discoloured scaled returned and got worse to this, where it looks almost like the scales have/are falling off?!
I have searched all over and cannot find mites on snake or in the enclosure/water bowl. I thought maybe scale rot? But it doesn't seem to be rotting as such it looks quite dry and rough. Could it simple have rubbed them off or what could it be?
Apart from that, he is acting as per usual, eating normal, shedding, active, lots of tongue flicking and growing great. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420434276.599701.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420434300.315925.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No couldn't be a burn, light is on the outside of the enclosure so nothing to burn itself on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

have you tried wiping it with a damp cloth?,could be dried poop

It could be scales from an old shed. I had the same on a woma before. It would look normal after a shed and then dry out a few weeks after. It had 3 or 4 patches along its head and neck. After 3 sheds and no sign of it going away I soaked him in a large plastic tub with some water (5cm) in all day prior to a shed and it dissapeared after that.

Antaresia are notorious for trying to get under things, hence their flattish heads. If it is burrowing under the substrate, or trying to get under some cage furniture, you will see damage like this, where the scales are rubbed off when the head is under pressure.

Jamie

Antaresia are notorious for trying to get under things, hence their flattish heads. If it is burrowing under the substrate, or trying to get under some cage furniture, you will see damage like this, where the scales are rubbed off when the head is under pressure.

Jamie

haha yeah, my stimmie loves to burrow, I've found her underneath her waterbowl multiple times in her own little homemade hideaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back