Taxidermist needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irbz_27

Reaction score
G'day all, just wondering if anyone can recommend a taxidermist in S.E. Suburbs of melbourne. Have a 6 ft jungle python that was a loved my 6 year old sons that died sometime ago. Been in deep freeze since. I'd like to get him mounted and stuffed for boy. Anyone know where I can go to get this done well, and what it would cost?

Having been a museum taxidermist for 35 years, I would suggest you don't bother. Snake skins do not preserve well, and whatever a taxidermist may do with it, it will not remotely resemble the animal it was in life. For modern museum exhibition, it would always be cast in a synthetic material and painted to a lifelike standard by a highly skilled museum preparator. There are probably a few private taxidermists who would take your money and promise a lifelike job, but if you are in any way discerning, you will be guaranteed to be disappointed.

Jamie

Hmm ok thanks Jamie. What about a jar with whatever they put stuff in? Even to just have him on display for a while... Or is even that pointless?

Jamie I didn't know you were a taxidermist. Got any photos or a website showing off your mounts?

Maybe look at getting the skeleton mounted. It may not look like the pet you owned, but it'll look better than a stuffed snake.

Maybe look at getting the skeleton mounted. It may not look like the pet you owned, but it'll look better than a stuffed snake.

Gee, do you know how long skeletons take to prepare & articulate? You could be looking at 50-100 hours to do a snake skeleton.

I do have some pix of my museum work, but they are prints - I'll get them put onto disc at Officeworks and put a few up during the week!

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back