Snake Supervision??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radioinvader

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of pictures with people's snakes just on their floors and even outside laying in the grass. How do you guys keep a handle on them and stop them from holing up somewhere or flat out escaping? I get paranoid when my spottie tries to get to the floor in my own room let alone taking him outside in the grass.

ha - its a bite like child proofing a room just snake proofing the area, alot easier with larger pythons tho. i set up an enclosed mesh play area for my little one to be out and about more but after a while she was very relaxed cruising around room and tends to find a spot and will stay there til i put her back. They dont tend to make a run for it if relaxed which happens over time.

Inless you have some pretty severe problems, you're a lot quicker than your python.

Beware of lounges. I have retrieved my male Blackheaded python twice with some difficulty. They only need to get a slight hold in the framework and it's a battle to remove them safely. Once he found a gap under the cushions I wasn't aware of which lead through to the carcass underneath. I have been reluctant to put them on the lawn, not too sure if I'm being over cautious but I am concerned as to whether they will pick up parasites, mites etc and introduce them to their enclosures. I'd be interested in others thoughts on this.

Mites only travel from animal to animal, they wont pick em up from the grass.

I have been taking all of my Pythons and lizards out in the yard for years. The only thing I watch out for are birds with the smaller/younger guys oh and new "well" meaning neighbors with shovels :facepalm: I haven't had any sign of nasty's as yet :D

When I take her outside I just keep her away from cover.I wouldn't do it with a little hatchie .most pythons don't just bolt for it if they're used to people, though snakes are notorious for disappearing if you take your eyes off them.I am more alert for kookaburras and hawks.

You'd be amazed to know a human can move a fair bit faster then a snake. As long as you keep a keen eye on them, having them on the floor/outside isn't really of any significant risk.

I have my snakes (pythons and elapids) out on the lawn as often as possible. The main trick is that I don't take my eyes off them.

Also have only one or two snakes out at a time. Nothing better than some natural UV light and also a chance for them to have some mental enrichment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back