How shall I clean bloody eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Urgent question! Hi, my Murray Darling girl has just laid eggs this morning and I want to put them into an incubator. She is sitting on some of them, which are glued together, but others were spread throughout her enclosure and about 5 were hanging down from a branch, still in the sack and quite bloody. Of course I want to save them, but there is no point putting them so bloody and dirty into the incubator. What would you do to get them clean?

Urgent question! Hi, my Murray Darling girl has just laid eggs this morning and I want to put them into an incubator. She is sitting on some of them, which are glued together, but others were spread throughout her enclosure and about 5 were hanging down from a branch, still in the sack and quite bloody. Of course I want to save them, but there is no point putting them so bloody and dirty into the incubator. What would you do to get them clean?

is the girl ok? ive never had any blood/sack on any of the eggs,....something doesnt sound right.

She looks alright. I have placed the bloody eggs gently into her nest while she had left the clutch and warmed up under her heatlamp for about half an hour. Meanwhile she has gone back and coiled there but shifted the bloody eggs aside. (I had meanwhile taken the cleaner eggs away and put them in an incubator.) I examined her vent and couldn't see any injury; the vent is closed, so I think the laying is over. She laid 17 eggs; she is 9 years old and about 10 feet (3 metres) long. Has shed properly about 2 weeks ago. Is there a chance that she can clean and look after the eggs herself?

Last edited:
Cant say I've ever seen eggs laid in a sac. Not normal.

Yeah i'd probably be taking her to a reptile vet and get that checked out.

Posting some photos might be a good idea.

Thanks for the link!

Attachments

• 2015-01-16 18.54.54.jpg
    2015-01-16 18.54.54.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 2015-01-16 18.54.44.jpg
    2015-01-16 18.54.44.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 160
Yeah. I havent seen that before, but I'd say mum knows there's an issue.

Looks like they've been laid with the veins and sac on the outside, which would make them slugs. Get 'em out before they taint the rest of the clutch.

I'd put them into a desperate tub and into the incubator, who knows they could be ok. For the price of a tub it's worth a shot.

Looks like they've been laid with the veins and sac on the outside, which would make them slugs. Get 'em out before they taint the rest of the clutch.

You could be right, arevenant, I don't know. But I did what Umbral just suggested - I've put them into a separate tub into the incubator, because I think that another explanation could be that a few eggs burst during or after the laying process and spread their inside contents over the other, undamaged eggs. At closer inspection, the dark-red strings look like umbilical cords and/or snake foetuses to me. Hence, inside the eggs everything could be alright if I'm lucky, and healthy snake foetuses may be developing. Which leaves the question open how I shall clean them!

There's definitely a serious problem there, and if the eggs are coated with "stuff" they'll die or be dead anyway - python eggshells are porous and the developing animal within needs the gaseous transfer through the shell to breathe. If you wet them to clean them off, the animal within will die for the same reason. I don't know if a "desperate" tub will help :)! I wouldn't be optimistic about the outcome, but there's no harm in trying...

Jamie

It's a real thing OK! Auto correct still seems to come up with an option that works....kind of.

there was a post like this at the end of last yr the best thing to do is take the python to the vet as the post i saw last yr the python got very ill very fast. may not be the same but better safe.

Just clean the eggs with a slightly damp paper towel, I have done this for bearded dragon eggs and seen a few vids from snake breeders doing the same just don't soak the egg. As for mum it would pay to have her checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back