Playing with food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zionkeeper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Please don't slam me as still quite new to being a reptile owner. My childrens python is currently just playing with his food. Not eating it... but won't let go of it either. Hes tried to eat him from tail up and middle of the stomach up. Ive tipped him out of his feeding bucket in the hope he'll let go but hasnt... any tips? How do i unravel him? Have tried and he keeps tightening his grip... Its late. I need to get to sleep. Is it bad to put him- mouse and all- in the tank and check on it tomorrow morning? Pull the mouse out if still uneaten?
Please and thank you for any advoce given..
cceb24e2eff7cbc56f8fbf41a00c9f72.jpg

How long did u leave him with the food? yes leave it overnight next time. and as advised just feed in enclosure. I've had snakes that sit with food in there coils for over 2 hours just chilling before eating on rare occasions.

Last edited:
If you can, use something that has the smell of rat (like paper towel if you dry your prey off before feeding) to lure them away from the rat, he should uncoil from it and follow the scent, this worked for me today when the same thing happened :)

hope this helps

assuming it was frozen, are you sure it was fully defrosted? My stimmi girl did something similar when I didn't check how warm her mouse was, and just coiled it for half an hour before I clicked.

When a snake eats it is giving up its main form of defence, because of this they will often not eat if they feel stressed. Feed it in the enclosure so that it feels more comfortable, once it takes the food just leave it for an hour so it can't see something staring at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back