Question for the breeders (of reptiles)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say I agree on the name thing on FB.
In the past week I've been tracked down by someone who bought snakes off someone, who bought them off me two years ago, then quickly flipped them as something they weren't for an inflated price. I was able to give her all the correct background info on them, tell her she was scammed and help her out with what to do.
And I purchased a Woma on Monday and was able to find the original owner two hands back and get it's breeding history.
Both these things took about two minutes on FB instead of weeks of hunting info like it used to...

Not to have a dig at anyone but none of us use our real names here including the people that prefer real names.

You mean you've known this whole time this isn't my real name!?

I don't use my real name on FB simply because I have an account already and wanted to keep this one strictly for buying and selling snakes. My FB account is Norms Pythons, but Norms not my real name either, its my nickname...my real names Shane

Please tell me your names Shane Norman and used to live in Vic.

- - - Updated - - -

I went to school with a Shane Norman.

I was under the impression you weren't allowed to advertise reptiles for sale on FB? (atleast in NSW anyway)?

Not sure about the legality of it but it's happening, but there's heaps of classified sites

I highly doubt the NSW government has any juristiction over a US based websites policies.

Might be a stupid question, I thought you could only create accounts in your real name. Are you allowed two accounts on facebook?

I don't use my real name on FB simply because I have an account already and wanted to keep this one strictly for buying and selling snakes. My FB account is Norms Pythons, but Norms not my real name either, its my nickname...my real names Shane

Might be a stupid question, I thought you could only create accounts in your real name. Are you allowed two accounts on facebook?

Yep,

Much like forums, the only real constraint is having an email address (which doesn't need to be valid after X amount of time). I have seen many an account with no real name on Facebook which doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the targeted ads and extra rubbish Facebook decides to bombard you with.

Thanks, so you can have multiple accounts as long as they don't have the same email address?

Yep,

Much like forums, the only real constraint is having an email address (which doesn't need to be valid after X amount of time). I have seen many an account with no real name on Facebook which doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the targeted ads and extra rubbish Facebook decides to bombard you with.

For my regular account I use my email and for my python account I use my mobile number.

Ive never sold reptiles to date but I did find my rats were painfully slow to move on here. I like others bit the bullet and did the FB thing, sold them out very quickly. Given this and the fact a supplier I buy from when I need rabbits etc got low in stock last year due to being unable to keep up with demand I would take this as an indication that the reptile market is still on an upward increase just that more people are shopping elsewhere.

I use my real name online on both forums and stalkbook- nothing to hide and I stand by my comments

I think the big advantage that this forum has is that things are searchable. I see a lot of interesting stuff on Facebook, but when you go back after a few days and try and remember which group it was in and then find what you're after... well, most of the time I just give up.

Biggest advantage of facebook is almost immediate replies to nearly anything interesting you post

BRR photographed first ever wild orangutans in South Kalimantan..... ignored here.... viral on fb and other sites
BRR photographed new species in Bali.... ignored here... viral on fb and other sites
King cobra shot 3 times..... replies and advice within minutes on fb..... nothing much here

I think majority of people are cheap and want the cheapest option possible - people don't want to pay good money for quality. I also think the market is flooded with pythons and python morphs. Many also like to try and work with traits they have bred themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back