what is the secret ingredient?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfien

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am just curious as to how Australian reptile enthusiasts learn about the ideal methods to care for their pets. I find that generally speaking there is limited information on Australian snakes, particuarily the carpet family. How do all you guys learn how to take care of your animals? Videos? Trial and error? I find that most reptile products are designed for more common species of reptile - the classics they keep in America; the royal python and crested gecko - the species that are illegal here. I am really just interested about how you hobbyists are able to take such great care of your reptiles. How did you guys learn? Maybe I am just a bit overwhelmed by all of the different things a keeper has to learn about. I'm pretty new to the hobby, but it fascinates me.

Any replies would be awesome. I'm not trying to start any arguments, and I'm not looking for information about any particular species, just interested to know how you guys learned to care for your pets :)

You'd be surprised at the wealth of knowledge there is here in the herp community.
Sites like this, expo's and decades long keepers with a passion they're more than happy to share. Breeders who love what they do and make sure their animals are put in good hands to people with the knowledge to care for them.
There's pretty good articles and care sheets online for most species, with the stuff by Doc Rock top of the list and easy to google.
Books like The Complete Carpet Python, The Complete Chondro ect. are some of the best herp books written in the world...
Specialty stores like Scales & Tails, Amazing Amazon ect. with huge ranges of Australiana specific stock and employees who are dedicated herp enthusiasts and not just pet shop workers...

To say there is limited information on Aus herps and especially carpets is just not true, they're the most common reptile kept in the country I'd be willing to bet, with beardies and blueys a clos second...

There is a wealth of knowledge out there - the Australian Reptile Keeper Publications are proof of that, written by experienced Aussie Keepers, these books cover Dragons, Monitors, frogs etc. (see link below). Buying and reading a book eliminates much of the trial and error aspect. Having said that there a rare occurrences that happen that you might not have experience with that also might not be covered in depth within books.
When I sell any herp (gecko or python), I always recommend they buy the books. AND if they come across so arrogant in the first instance and wont listen to the advice given, I usually send them packing, without the animal. This is a result from one particular sale in which I recommended a book be purchased, was told rudely they knew everything, only to message me two weeks later saying 'you told me the snake was cooling and wasn't feeding but it shouldn't be pooing, why are there white poos everywhere'. Clearly a book might've helped this person.

http://www.herpbooks.com.au/web/hus...o-australian-geckos-and-pygopods-in-captivity

Last edited:
There is a wealth of knowledge out there - the Australian Reptile Keeper Publications are proof of that, written by experienced Aussie Keepers, these books cover Dragons, Monitors, frogs etc. (see link below). Buying and reading a book eliminates much of the trial and error aspect. Having said that there a rare occurrences that happen that you might not have experience with that also might not be covered in depth within books.
When I sell any herp (gecko or python), I always recommend they buy the books. AND if they come across so arrogant in the first instance and wont listen to the advice given, I usually send them packing, without the animal. This is a result from one particular sale in which I recommended a book be purchased, was told rudely they knew everything, only to message me two weeks later saying 'you told me the snake was cooling and wasn't feeding but it shouldn't be pooing, why are there white poos everywhere'. Clearly a book might've helped this person.

http://www.herpbooks.com.au/web/hus...o-australian-geckos-and-pygopods-in-captivity

Hahaha terrifyingly hilarious.

This site is great for information, I also am lucky enough to meet many experienced keepers through the local Herp society and volunteer work.

Books! A good place to start is 'keeping and breeding Australian pythons' by mike swan. Everyone has their own preferences but generally this gets a reasonable mention in most

Find out where they are from and replicate nature as much as possible. Humidity, heat, lighting, temperatures etc. I reckon that understanding an animals natural behaviour is the best way to guide you.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back