Hatchie racks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradm89

Reaction score
Hey guys,
just wondering what's everyone's opinion on hatchie racks.
im expecting a clutch of around 15 macs in mid January.
this is my first time so just chasing advice on whether to buy a hatchie rack or whether to have a crack at making something.
id rather buy something pre made as I'm new to this and something built with all heating and temp control already done would be awesome.
However I do have time up my sleeve if DIY is needed.
advice is appreciated guys.

cheers,
Brad

You can go down the path of buying a rack, snake whisper has pre-fabed racks, including heating ect. Check their website for prices.

I made one myself, cost me about $450 by the time I bought materials and heating, plus 150odd for a thermostat.

DIY would be so easy on a hatchie rack - you just need a router to put some grooves into shelves; a heat cord and a thermostat. Seen plenty of DIY hatchie racks made from bunnings materials in an afternoon. Have also seen people buy old bookshelves (removable shelves) and use them rather than building a rack.

Google pics of them.

Just remember to think of cost too, a store bought rack is probably gonna cost about 4 times that of a DIY, with DIY being able to fit your exact needs...

Hi

I have a microclimate b1 which has stopped working. I have an electrician mate who thinks it is the temperature probe.

Does anyone know what the manufacturer or part number is for the probe?

Hi

I have a microclimate b1 which has stopped working. I have an electrician mate who thinks it is the temperature probe.

Does anyone know what the manufacturer or part number is for the probe?
I'm sure you have checked it but lol did you know they have a fuse in them. Sorry for stating the obvious but you never know.

Two points l feel have been side stepped on this thread, a lot of ppl make hatchie racks with the lids still used on the containers IMO that defeats the purpose, of quick access to hatchies when feeding a fair few, which in its self creates less time for each hatchie, the other point is l have seen plenty of home made racks that have had escapees....so how cheap in the long run is a professionally made setup ! ~B~

This is my rack, used 7L sistema containers with holes melted into the front and half of the front sides. 32 Tub capacity, overkill yes but it pays to overcompensate.
Heatcords run across each shelf individually, and have switches to control which cords are on/off (2 shelves per switch). Had my brother inlaw who is an electrican come and help set up the thermostat which is just an ebay job wired into the switch control box.

Attachments

• hatchrack.jpg
    hatchrack.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Attachment didn't work. I believe there is a sticky set by admin on how to bypass bug in site to post pictures.

I use tubs bought from the reject shop, placed on timber shelves that has had a groove cut in it with heat cord. The shelves are galvanised benches/shelves you can buy at Bunnings, Super Cheap or Stratco.

Should be working now mate
Just logged on again, picture working. Like the setup, in the slow process of building mine with sisteema tubs in aluminium queblok frame. Can't beat the strength of sisteema for the price when they wind up on 50% off sales.

9243364541e2843ceeb241f120135956.jpg

This is my new rack I just set up. Keep in mind the whole rack is now full and the pic was taken when I had the first 9 hatchlings in it, so the costs reflect it being full. Got a mate who is a kitchen maker, so what did it cost me in total?
$60+ 6 pack of coopers for the rack itself.
$62.50 for 25 tubs I found at the reject shop.
$30 heat cord
$35 for ceramic ramekins from House
$34 for a bag of aspen shavings.
$0 for saved toilet rolls for hides.
Used a microclimate thermostat I had here already
So I'm only out of pocket $221 to have it completely set up for the hatchlings. If I had to buy a thermostat, it would have been $341 total. (I use microclimates, so yes a cheap thermostat would be cheaper but I stick with what works for me.)

Now compare that to the cost of buying a production made rack setup.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back