Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried uncoiling my female Black headed pythons tail from around the thermostat lead she was pulling off the back of the enclosure whilst looking the opposite direction and talking to someone. She latched onto the finger and coiled my hand (should have known better, she always bites). Moved my male Black headed python from a tub to his first enclosure with only a heat pad, found out he wouldn't eat and was overly agitated/aggressive as he needed higher ambient temperature rather than warm spot on floor (cured the day I put heat lamp in). Putting eggs in a bird egg incubator (massive fan dehydrated eggs).

With my second snake(diamond Python), I ignored the advice I was given about what sort of click clack I should use for a hatchie because i didn't like the look of a boring plastic tub.
Instead, I got one of those plastic fish tanks with the coloured lids that people often get for hermit crabs.
Predictably, she escaped because the plastic lid was flexible. Luckily, she was found by me and not the cat. From them on, all hatchies go into click clacks that lock on all sides!!

Leaving my MD enclosure open new years eve, getting a rude wakeup from my girlfriend when the snake came thru a back window and dropped onto the bed next to her!

She wasn't very happy about that one in the morning, specially with a hangover!

I put my very first hatchling in a 4 foot enclosure
wondered why wouldn't feed and keep attacking me lol leant the hard way

One of my biggest mistakes ever was linking up with a dodgy "entrepreneur," who promised the world a new herp magazine, despite constant warnings from many of my friends and associates that it would end in tears... eventually cost me my much enjoyed job editing Scales & Tails, then the new magazine went bust after just two editions... Egg on face and a lesson sorely learned!

Jamie

one mistake was putting frozen rats into snaplock bags for thaw out and forgot to wash hands then going to change water bowl will never forget again

Mistakes I've made .... OMG where do I start, I've made heaps of mistakes, fortunately I tend to learn from my mistakes and try not to repeat them.

Worse herp related mistake was trusting a local vet with one of my lizards, result = dead lizard about 3 hours after being treated for "impaction" :(

Last edited:
Not watching the very obvious signs my woma was giving me about not wanting to be picked up. I got bitten. Served me right.

buying jags ,thinking they would be ok,all showed signs of neuro at some stage (some young,some not until adults)nothing like holding a full grown coastal jag and feeling it move all wrong........never again.........live and learn...

I had a python escape from an enclosure that wasn't as secure as it could've been. At least she can't actually get out of the room it was in.

I put my very first hatchling in a 4 foot enclosure
wondered why wouldn't feed and keep attacking me lol leant the hard way
Nothing wrong with a 4ft enclosure provided you give them enough hides to feel secure.

I didn't close the magnetic latches on my younger bredli's enclosure one afternoon and about 4am in the morning he let himself out and got into bed with my partner and I.
Woke up in the dark to hearing my boyfriend yelling "I hope that's one of ours!" Then turnings on the light to see Louis in his hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty clumbsy.. I have shut my stimmies tail in the click clack and also sat on him once. Luckily he is tough as nails!

Handling the spotted black snake then using the same hook straight away after that on a juvenile eastern brown. It was an exciting couple of minutes trying to contain that little guy after he flew out of the tub at the smell of the other one.
Cheers Cameron

Thinking I was into herpetology when apparently it's more than owning snakes and having an interest in such. There is criteria set that you must search for reptiles outside on a regular basis, must have been in the hobby for numerous years, must be able to recite the scientific names of each species, be accepted by the in crowd and be resistant to accepting others into the fold. There might even be a secret handshake in there somewhere but I haven't managed to infiltrate the secret society.

Thinking I was into herpetology when apparently it's more than owning snakes and having an interest in such. There is criteria set that you must search for reptiles outside on a regular basis, must have been in the hobby for numerous years, must be able to recite the scientific names of each species, be accepted by the in crowd and be resistant to accepting others into the fold. There might even be a secret handshake in there somewhere but I haven't managed to infiltrate the secret society.

Herpetology is having an active interest and involvement with field work and scientific research. Going out and catching a few critters to have a gander at and/or photograph and keeping a few as pets is herpetoculture. They are two different fields but the later often leads to the first.

George.

Herpetology is having an active interest and involvement with field work and scientific research. Going out and catching a few critters to have a gander at and/or photograph and keeping a few as pets is herpetoculture. They are two different fields but the later often leads to the first.

George.
Depends on who you speak to on here. The criteria shifts within the self proclaimed on here just as to exclude others from being viewed in the same class as them.

Depends on who you speak to on here. The criteria shifts within the self proclaimed on here just as to exclude others from being viewed in the same class as them.

Does it really matter that much what you perceive others may think? So long as one gets enjoyment out of what one does is the key point. I think you'll find that the vast majority of herpetologist, be they either professional or amateur started off as herpetoculturists just the same as everyone else and their interest developed to a level beyond just keeping a few herps.

As I stated previously they are two different fields and involvement in either or both are as honourable and respectable as each other. The object of having an interest in either field is to ask questions, listen, learn and self educate to become knowledgeable in a chosen field to the best of ones ability. There are plenty of herpetologists who don't have an interest (or a clue) in housing and breeding individual species of reptiles just as there are plenty of herpetoculturists who don't have an interest in exploring the scientific field of study.

It's up to the individual if they want to extend their own personal knowledge from beyond keeping them to an active involvement in the science of the subject.

Cheers.

Thinking I knew it all and refusing to listen to real advice and opinions all because I wanted to prove something.

Only thing I proved was how to be an idiot

My biggest mistake happened about one year ago, when I let one of my pythons escape. It was a heat wave here in South Australia with 10 days straight over 40 degrees every day, so I transferred our four snakes, each about 10 foot long, from he shed to he bathroom to keep them cool. Well, some family member or guest must have left the door open - my MD boy was gone.

I happen to be also a breeder of precious Russian Blue cats. There are very few good breeders of this breed in Australia and there is a huge demand. We had a mum with precious kittens at that time, each kitten already pre-sold at birth for $850 each. Three weeks after my MD boy disappeared my little daughter found him again in the kitten room - with a full belly, while one kitten was missing and the mother cat, warmly loved and worth at least a thousand dollars, was badly injured and could barely breathe; she died within the next ten minutes in my arms. The kitten was about the size of a large rat at that time. A very expensive meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back