Safety advice for the anti-snake crowd... what would you add to the list?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noni

Reaction score
Hi guys, haven't been online here for ages but thought you would be the best peeps to ask :)

I am a member of a 8000 strong womens running group and want to organise a fundraiser 'virtual' run later in the year (run a set distance in your own town and post results online). At this stage I'm thinking of raising funds for Wires. I would like to call it the 'reptile run' and in addition to everyone being able to get a custom medal etc I wanted to use it as an opportunity to educate people who encounter herps in the wild.

This group consists of girls from all over Australia from Wolloomooloo to Winnellie so there are often posts from those who have discovered diamonds in their local park, through to those coming across elapids in the bush. A great deal of these ladies are in the 'kill it with a shovel' camp, some are cautious and run the other way, and some are sympathetic to wildlife, so we have people from all viewpoints.

ANyway my question is what kind of simple advice would you include in an info sheet that I could send out with the medals after the run? Also if there are any apps, resources etc you'd recommend that I could link to. I want to keep it light, simple and interesting (and fun of course!) but also take advantage of the opportunity to educate people.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

How about -
If you come across a snake, just remember it's more scared of you than you are of it.
Give it some space and take some time to admire the beautiful animal from a safe distance and let it go on it's way without interfering with or harming it.

and

Watch where you're putting those big feet of your's, if you step on a snake, it can't say "OUCH!", it'll only bite you because you stood on it first.

Last edited:
I actually heard of a guy in Indonesia trying to kill a cobra with a shovel... he was bitten and died lol.. you could ad that funny story in there

Run on a treadmill if you're scared of encountering one...

It seems like you want to give people advice and info about staying safe (from snakes) on the run so wouldn't it be better to send the advice out before they complete the run? Seems kind of pointless giving them the info after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back