A good start

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simboni

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for a first reptile that would be easy to care for, feed and handle. I'm keen for something more tropical or subtropical and not something from the desert (I.e. a bearded dragon), and something that won't require a massive cage.

I've considered spotted pythons, but I just want to keep my options open and keep searching for ideas.

Any suggestions?

Hey there [MENTION=41293]simboni[/MENTION], there are some beautiful geckos out there that fit the tropical theme you want like leaf-tailed geckos, angle headed/boyds dragons too! maybe have a little search of tropical australian reptiles and see what you like the look of

Thanks Eagle,

Not sure where you are, but unfortunately Boyd's are R2 in NSW (I know that in QLD they're R1), Leaf tails are a good idea, I think they're the only true tropical gecko. Will search around and report back!

Thanks again

Ah not to sure with NSW laws regarding reptiles as I am in Victoria, Yeah keep having a look around...water dragons are good also, not really tropical but not desert dwelling

Water dragons are found in the daintree, my only problem is the caging they require. I'd probably be looking at an animal that could fit in a 3 foot by 3 foot by 1.5 foot max. Unless a single specimen could fit in there?

3 x 3 x 1.5 is way to small for an adult water dragon.
With spotted python have a look at the different morphs eg the blonde spotted or the platinum spotted thats also depending on the amount you want to spend, same with childrens python there all very similar species but the different patterns you can get them in now is incredible. So if you do end up going for a spotted or childrens python have a look at all the patterns you can get them in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back