Nice walks in Canberra?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greggles91

Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in Sydney and I was sent to Canberra for work for a couple of weeks... well this is my fifth week and I need to start doing more things before I go insane! I cant surf in arvos, cant work on my reptiles, its so frustrating.

At home my partner and I like to go for walks around some of the parks where we see different lizards and turtles.

Is there any where in Canberra I can go for a walk after work to see some wild life and waste some time before I head back to the hotel room? I know theres lots of nature parks and reserves but I don't know where to start? especially since id like to see some reptiles on the walk.

any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Greg

Just pick a reserve and go for it! Most commonly seen reptiles would probably be eastern beardies, shingle backs and blue tongues. Red bellies and browns are thick in the ACT. You're also likely to see cunninghams too, just go to any mound of boulders and you're sure to find a family. Where are you staying I might be able to suggest some places?

cheers
chris
gippsland water dragons too

Last edited:
Just pick a reserve and go for it! Most commonly seen reptiles would probably be eastern beardies, shingle backs and blue tongues. Red bellies and browns are thick in the ACT. You're also likely to see cunninghams too, just go to any mound of boulders and you're sure to find a family. Where are you staying I might be able to suggest some places?

cheers
chris
gippsland water dragons too

Hey Chris,

Thanks for that. I'm staying in Forrest and working in Curtin, any suggestions? :)

Looking at google maps i'm thinking of Mt Taylor nature reserve or Red Hill nature park. looking at going after work at around 5 ish.

Cheers,

How did you go last night? If you want to be assured of seeing some reptiles, water dragons in particular, the botanic gardens are thriving with them! Not sure if your into birds as well but canberras bird life is very unique. If you don't find any reptiles on your walks you're sure to see some bird species you haven't seen before

Greg,

There are so many options to walk in Canberra.. Yes Mt Taylor is a good one, and also Red Hill.
If you wanted to go for a drive, then Cowen forest is a great option. It is not far from Tharwa heading towards Tidbinbilla.
Mt Ainslie might be worth a look.
There is also a good reserve behind Curtin, near the water reservoir. You will have to skip over the fence, but I doubt anyone would kick you out.
Yes, the botanic gardens are good as well for easy sighting of reptiles.
Black Mountain also has a skink that is only found there if I remember rightly. Been a while since I left ACT.
Hope that is of some help

Hey Greg,
most bush reserve areas around Canberra are pretty good for finding Herps, I've found mainly tigers, browns and blue tongues around. In some areas of Queanbeyan which is just outside of Canberra there are a nice few trails near the river where there are plenty of herps and you can occasionally spot a platypus.
If not a visit to the reptile zoo is always nice as well

How did you go last night? If you want to be assured of seeing some reptiles, water dragons in particular, the botanic gardens are thriving with them! Not sure if your into birds as well but canberras bird life is very unique. If you don't find any reptiles on your walks you're sure to see some bird species you haven't seen before

No luck at mt taylor but was a nice walk. going to go for another walk tonight. not sure where yet. I will keep you all posted!

Greg,

There are so many options to walk in Canberra.. Yes Mt Taylor is a good one, and also Red Hill.
If you wanted to go for a drive, then Cowen forest is a great option. It is not far from Tharwa heading towards Tidbinbilla.
Mt Ainslie might be worth a look.
There is also a good reserve behind Curtin, near the water reservoir. You will have to skip over the fence, but I doubt anyone would kick you out.
Yes, the botanic gardens are good as well for easy sighting of reptiles.
Black Mountain also has a skink that is only found there if I remember rightly. Been a while since I left ACT.
Hope that is of some help

Thanks for all the tips! trying o decide where to go this arvo.

Hey Greg,
most bush reserve areas around Canberra are pretty good for finding Herps, I've found mainly tigers, browns and blue tongues around. In some areas of Queanbeyan which is just outside of Canberra there are a nice few trails near the river where there are plenty of herps and you can occasionally spot a platypus.
If not a visit to the reptile zoo is always nice as well

Awesome! I saw my first wild Platypus last year they are so amazing to see in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back