Aviary / Outdoor enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Reaction score
Hi all

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding outdoor aviaries and the best way to make or obtain them?

I know there are lots of cheap aviary/chook pen options available like Absco that can be bought from Bunnings etc but they all need a fair bit of modification that I can't be bothered with (excuse my laziness).

Has anyone made or had any made specifically for pythons that tick all the boxes rather than trying to modify a chook pen or bird cage? - ie. completely snake proof with appropriate size mesh, no sharp edges, half enclosed, half open to elements etc. Any clever ideas or pictures would be appreciated. I do keep an eye out in for sale section on this site obviously but they seem to be very rarely come up. I don't need anything urgently. I'm just exploring design ideas and ways to get them.

Thanks

I have seen some aviaries converted for reptiles being sold on gumtree. 1 was an outdoor setup that utilised aluminium/glass industrial shop fridge door panels, looked pretty well done. I've seen more on there as they are free to advertise and generate substantially larger volumes of traffic when it comes to selling much like Facebook.

You should have a go at building your enclosure from scratch.is cost an issue or trying to save yourself some time.when building from scratch it's a lot easier to build to your plans with minimal wastage of materials.
here's some photos of mine that I have recently completed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
Treated pine, cheap as, relatively speaking:).

- - - Updated - - -

Construction. Uprights 90mm at $20, 2.4 M lengths at $12.

Attachments

• aviary 004.JPG
    aviary 004.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 130
  • aviary 005.JPG
    aviary 005.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 131
  • con 2 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    con 2 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 103
  • frame cage 001.jpg
    frame cage 001.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Cage 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    Cage 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 101
Treated pine is a good cheap option, but you have to be careful about the chemicals leeching into the ground, from what I have read. Also you have to be careful with what reptiles you put in there, as some like to lick their surroundings.
We are in the process of building an aviary bought off gumtree for our Mertens' water monitors. It is 3.9 by 1.2 by 2m high. Next summer I will divide in half and extend it out so our flavi's can live in the other half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back