Losing interest

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexbee

I hate coming on here and seeing the amount of snakes for sale with enclosure because people get sick of their new play thing after a year or 2.... People need to make better decisions.. i dont know how this problem can be fixed.. anyone got any ideas?

Pets in general mate not just snakes. We live in a throwaway society.

Can't worry or control what others do. As long as your house is in order.

Its probable better that way so the pet goes to a better home once sold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hate coming on here and seeing the amount of snakes for sale with enclosure because people get sick of their new play thing after a year or 2.... People need to make better decisions.. i dont know how this problem can be fixed.. anyone got any ideas?

That is a really big assumption, circumstances change. Or if it is a case that someone has lost interest in keeping a reptile it's not a big deal as long as the animal was cared for whilst it was in the persons care and goes to a good home after. It's not for everyone and some people don't realise that till after the fact. How can you know if you enjoy something without trying it?

Trying to police peoples habits or lock people out of the hobby can be very detrimental and just makes people seem cliquey.

I agree with markus002. This concerns pets in general. When they are NEW and preferably as young and as small as possible, they are wanted and loved. Once the novelty wears off their people find other interests. In Australia, this pattern of the human nature causes a very sad situation for cats and dogs - please see the website of deathrowpets.net to understand the scope of his problem. However, other pets, including snakes and lizards, are no really in danger, as for every baby pet owner who lost the interest there seems to be at least one wanna-be breeder who is happy to take over an adult animal!

Its pretty bad with reptile keepers. Many reptiles for sale that have lost their novelty value with owners and no longer want to maintain. One lady on Gumtree north of Adelaide is notorious for buying and selling almost chronically like she gets a fix from it, I get annoyed whenever she puts another ad up and I wouldn't sell to her. Be serious people, don't buy and invest in an animal you don't see yourself with 10 years and many life changes down the road with. And if you do keep something longer than you want or need, absolutely still look after it like it was a jewel as slack/poor husbandry is just shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back