Children's Python help please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melanieb

Reaction score
Hi All, I am a first time owner and have chosen a childrens python hatchi as my first snake. I have owned her for only 3weeks and I am unable to get her to feed. She is still housed in the click clack provided by the breeder (as advised by the breeder) which i about the size of a lunch box. She has a hide and water. She is being kept in a room that is not overly lit, handling is being kept to a minimum and the temp in her box is between 29-34 deg. i am offering pinky mice every few days but still no luck. She appears calm and content and is showing no signs of agression. My friend purchased her brother at the same time and he is thriving. I am at a loss as to what i am doing wrong and could really use a voice of experience. Its now been about four weeks since she has fed.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long are you trying each time. We were advised to "bother" a little one we had who wouldn't eat and persevere for 20 mins, by tapping the snake with the mouse. Braining the mouse helps too. Don't stress just yet though as long as she still is active and happy hopefully she'll get hungry soon. She might also be going into shed at which time they don't like to eat. Hope that helps.

did you get a feeding history when you got her? most little ones shed more regularly so she could be getting ready for this, maybe the seller was feeding outside tub or leaving food in over nite etc? Each reptile will have its own querks but if all husbandry is good and she isnt loosing weight just leave trying for a week instead of every few days. Hope she comes good for you

Thank you for your advic, I do have a feeding history and she shed and ate about a week before I got her. Her skin is still Shiney and eyes still clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if I could brain the mouse but if that's what it comes too. Thanks for your advice.

My little stimmies did the same thing. I found i just had to find different teqhniques for them. One of them i have to slap in the face with the mouse. She will only take it if i do this. The oher will only feed out of my hand. palm open slithers up and takes it... but i tried all sorts of things. Sheds dont usually last 3 weeks do they?... might just be disturbing her to much. When my girls dont eat i give them timeout for a week with no handling or disturbances and it works.

If you mean a slope no it doesn't. I have had someone suggest live mice, is this an acceptable practice?

:lol::lol::lol:No he doesn't mean slope. He's meaning temperature gradient, does ur snake have a warm end and also a cooler end it can go to if it wants

Temperature gradient means having a temp of 34deg at the end the heats source is down to around 22-24 deg at the opposite end, it is a bit hard with a click clack to get a decent gradient if using a light or heat emitter, it is best to have a heat mat or heat cord under 1/4-1/3 of the click clack attached to a thermostat, as far as the snakes feeding behaviour don't sweat it at this stage, in fact it might be good to leave it alone all together for the next 7-10 days to just make sure it settles in to it's new home, sometimes this is all it takes. Welcome to our world. :) ..............................Ron

Hi All, I am a first time owner and have chosen a childrens python hatchi as my first snake. I have owned her for only 3weeks and I am unable to get her to feed. She is still housed in the click clack provided by the breeder (as advised by the breeder) which i about the size of a lunch box. She has a hide and water. She is being kept in a room that is not overly lit, handling is being kept to a minimum and the temp in her box is between 29-34 deg. i am offering pinky mice every few days but still no luck. She appears calm and content and is showing no signs of agression. My friend purchased her brother at the same time and he is thriving. I am at a loss as to what i am doing wrong and could really use a voice of experience. Its now been about four weeks since she has fed.

Stop handling her until she starts feeding well for you.

Even though you have written temps are ok check them (cool and warm side) early morning when temps are at their coolest.

Only offer food once a week preferably of an evening.Use tweezers and gently tease her with the pinkie by touching her just behind the neck and see if she will strike at it.Only do this for a few minutes or until she has had enough and tries to get away and at that stage just leave the pinkie in with her overnight.

If after a couple more weeks she is still not feeding get onto the breeder for advice.

My Albino Darwin was a fussy eater when I first got him. I used to put the pinky in and offer it to him and after a few minutes I'd leave it lying near him and just walk away. An hour or so the mouse would be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back