Feeding response

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niitro

Reaction score
G'day guys, I have recently purchased a spotted python and he seems to have a pretty and feeding response, as soon as you put your hand in the enclosure he tends to strike, but when you have him out of the tank he is fine and doesn't strike at all. He is a year old and I think the previous owner didn't handle him much. I was just wondering what the best way to get him out of this habit was?

Thanks

That's not necessarily a feeding response. He sounds threatened. Just leave him be to settle in. As he becomes more aware he will become more tolerant of you. Usually this comes with age.

I don't think he feels threatend simply because when he is out and I'm handling him he is fine. It's only when I put my hands in the tank he gets snappy. I have had him around 3 weeks now and I hope with more handling he will grow out of it

I don't think he feels threatend simply because when he is out and I'm handling him he is fine. It's only when I put my hands in the tank he gets snappy. I have had him around 3 weeks now and I hope with more handling he will grow out of it

I find that generally that with a feed response they will coil.... Like when they eat....

You're putting your giant hand into his home. It's definitely a threat response and a lot of other keepers will tell you the same thing.
Just take things slow or get him out with a hook and he should calm down with age.

my 4yr old is the most docile animal out side and has never even looked like striking but even if i get too close even changing her water she will tag me just to let me know its her territory - i just open her door and if she wants to come out she will otherwise i leave her be or use a hook if i must get her out and no issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back