Torn Shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radioinvader

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My 2 year old spotted python went through another shed on Thursday, which wouldn't be too concerning except for the fact that once he was done it was torn into different pieces, like he was having a lot of trouble getting it off. The shed was over the course of a week, as per usual, and I kept an eye on the usual signs and it all seemed normal. His previous few sheds were all full and intact. I fed him that evening and he seems fine. He's behaving normally and I had him out today, no grumpiness or irritability. The eye sockets came and everything, but is torn shedding something to be concerned about, or is it something that just happens sometimes?

Not with spotted's. Both of ours quite often have torn sheds. Occasionally we have to assist with a bath, to get off the tail bits.
Nothing to worry about though; just something to keep in mind.

Not with spotted's. Both of ours quite often have torn sheds. Occasionally we have to assist with a bath, to get off the tail bits.
Nothing to worry about though; just something to keep in mind.

Thanks, I've only had him since November, and I was a bit worried because his sheds since then have all been intact. Good to know it's not anything really serious.

As long as its off the animal, does it really matter whether its in tact or not?

As long as its off the animal, does it really matter whether its in tact or not?
When I was doing research on shedding, I was under the impression that the shed always had to be complete and intact. I was just worried that it meant something was wrong if he was having trouble shedding and the old skin was in several different pieces. I guess the only thing that matters is that the eye sockets go with it.

Try increasing the humidity in the enclosure or spraying the snake in the lead-up to the next slough. Keep an eye out for cloudy eyes as an indicator that a slough is imminent.

When I was doing research on shedding, I was under the impression that the shed always had to be complete and intact. I was just worried that it meant something was wrong if he was having trouble shedding and the old skin was in several different pieces. I guess the only thing that matters is that the eye sockets go with it.

The shed skin can tear quite easily if you have natural rocks etc in the enclosure as they rub against stuff to help pull it off. Broken sloughs are very common. The important part is to examine the slough and confirm the eye scales and complete tail tip can be accounted for, otherwise you will need to get your snake out and check the eyes and tail closely and see if you need to help it get those scales off. Tail tips in particular are important as they will constrict blood flow to the tip and it will drop off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back