Spotted Python Advice on grow sizes please!! NEED HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easts87

Reaction score
hi, im a new member so still trying to get used to where to post etc. but I have a question regarding Spotted python growth size.
a friend and I purchased a spotted each out of the same clutch, so currently both are just on 18 months old. My python size is around 1 metre, and about a 20c coin in diameter, and eats well and sheds regularly,good body proportion to head, and overall looks very healthy.
My friend no longer wanted his snake and I have taken him on, but I have noticed he is not even half the size of what my snake is, (about 400cm in size and 5c coin thick). initially I thought this was odd given their exactly the same age, but put it down to his cage being fairly ****e. but I have also noticed that most 12mth-18mth old spotted pythons look to be more on the smaller side in photos here.

is their a good healthy recommended size spotted pythons should be at 18mth old? as I want to house them together but am worried the larger will eat the smaller, and also is my python oversized for its age? the smaller is a male and the larger a female, but mine seems to be abnormally large for its age any help would be fantastic thanks!!!!!!!
(can post photos if needed)

Yours sounds about right, not abnormal. Difference in size is simply the result of your friend not feeding his snake very much.

Snakes growth rates depend alot on availability of food. That being said they all have thier own groth rates. Some grow like weeds others take a while. Glad you have both now. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will have 2 happy lil snakes!

G'day Easts87 welcome to the group, there are so many variables to growth rates and just as many opinions. if the smaller 1 seems happy and healthy and eats ok don't worry too much about the size difference, I bought 2 spotties from the same clutch and someone else i know bought 1 also from the same clutch they are all just over 2 years old now and my 2 are about 1.2mts but the other 1 is only about 750mm in length, they are all kept in similar conditions and basically fed the same, her 1 is happy healthy, feeds and sheds with no probs, she got a bit worried that hers may have some sort of intestinal worm or something stunting it's growth so she took it to the vet and got a clean bill of health, so don't sweat it unless it shows obvious signs of distress, just enjoy your little worms, As far as putting them together in the same enclosure, well........ it's a bit of a lottery, some are fine and can co-habit fine for years and then 1 day you look in and seem to have 1 very long snake. others will try and kill each other from the outset, when they hatch they all try and get as far as they can from each other and stake out their own territory, in your case the bigger 1 having the home tank advantage might try and dominate the smaller 1 which can have some very unwanted consequences, but in the end they are your spotties and only you can make the final decision, i just hope you do a lot of research and weigh up all the negatives before you try that option. :) ..........................Ron

Sounds like a feed rate issue but also bear in mind that males and females will be quite different in size too. A mate has some carpets all from the same clutch and the males are a bit over half the size of the females and they get fed at the same times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back