Unusual slough

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox.n.Lix

Reaction score
Ok, this may or may not be normal, but in my 5 years of snake ownership, i havent seen it.

My 9yo coastal is clearly coming up for a shed, but his slough is literally detaching without him having to do anything. Particularly on the distal end of his body, its alreay billowing around him.

Is this a sign of unhealthiness, or some kind of deficiency? Or is it just old age? Or is it a normal variation I've never seen or noticed before?

TIA
Roxi

Will post a picture in a few minutes

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 313872

i works when i click on it :(

- - - Updated - - -

right got it now, sorry, its been a while

Attachments

• 2015-03-21 19.40.27.jpg
    2015-03-21 19.40.27.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 2015-03-21 19.40.43.jpg
    2015-03-21 19.40.43.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 72
Sounds to me like it's environment is a bit light on for the humidity required for a good shed, probably nothing you have done but this year the weather on the East Coast has been all over the place and even my big Intergrade had a bad shed for the first time in 7 years, try giving it a tepid bath or mist it's enclosure every day or 2 till it finishes shedding, the bath did the trick for my big girl, 2 days later all the rest of the shed came off in 1 nice big piece. :) .......................Ron

But he hasnt started to try and get it off yet? should i at least wait for that?

Last year he had a few bad sheds. the most recent was the first one i didnt have to bath him after to get off the remains.

Well it is after all your snake so you can do what you please with it, i just suggested you either mist the enclosure or bathe the snake as it looks to be a bit dry. :) ...............................Ron

You say that last year he had a few bad sheds, and now it's having another one. Sounds like an environment factor. I'd suggest checking the humidity in the cage as ronhalling has recommended. Ideally the humidity should be altered longer-term, not just when it sloughs, but you need to be careful not to overdo it as an excessively damp enclosure can lead to respiratory infections. I live in Perth (hot and dry) and have large-ish tubs of water in each cage, partly to provide a cool spot during hot spells of weather, but also to keep humidity at a reasonable level, and my carpets never have any problem shedding - and some of them are much older than yours.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back