Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren1141

Reaction score
Hi ,
My son has a 4year old Diamond python and he has only feeding her one adult rat every 3 weeks over the summer period. I am concerned that this is not sufficient. I was told that for a snake of that age should be getting an extra large rat every 2-3 weeks over this period and nothing until at least Aug. Please could someone settle our argument!!!!!

I am feeding my adult snakes only once in every 3 weeks trough the summer..

4 year old diamond should be able to eat as big rat you can grow.

Snakes don't metabolize like mammals, so whilst an adult rat every 2-3 weeks might not be enough for it to gain mass, it's probably enough to sustain it nutritionally quite easily...

My adult Morelia are on feeds around the 3 week mark.....volume of around 150-180g for males (biggest is around 3.6kg), and 200-240g for breeding females being prepared for breeding this coming season. They still gain mass on this regime and don't get snappy or display food oriented behaviours. I personally see a lot of people bragging around the internet about how much or how big a feed they can pump into their snakes - IMHO it is short lived glory for shortening their animals lives by encouraging FLD and such down the track. There is a comfortable balance around what the animal needs to keep it healthy as well as contented etc and it is usually less than a lot of people realise.

HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back