Snakes Outdoors - What's Your Thoughts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Snake08

Reaction score
Hi All,
What are other snake lovers opinions on keeping snakes outdoors in avairies? Looking for good and bad feedback and good and bad experiences. Any tips or ideas that people had to implement to make their snake happier in the environment would also be good. Any pictures (as they speak a 1000 words) would also be great.
Thanks
Matt

You're talking Carpet Pythons, I'd imagine? I believe many keep MD's and coastal carpets outside in aviaries, for at least the warmer part of the year. Do a search for Getarealdog's threads on his cold climate elapid pits...look brilliant.

If you're living in their native location and have the correct setup then theres absolutely no reason it can't be done.

I'm in western Sydney, have kept Diamonds outside for close to 10 years now. You need to consider the daily sunshine exposure in hours (ideally 8+), and where shade will be in the middle of the day in summer. Have the setup face north if possible for best sunshine exposure and ideally be in sun in the morning and afternoon and shaded during midday. If you don't have anything to provide natural shade, use shadecloth and insulate the metal roof - I have a timber 'second roof' over the tops of my setups with an air gap. Also provide several insulated hides such as eskies / foam boxes in varying locations, high and low. Make sure to put a big water bowl so they can get in the water on really hot days. If you do a concrete slab, put mulch as a substrate to keep it cooler. No artificial heating required in my case.
If you keep more than one snake in there, make sure to separate into feeding tubs etc to avoid accidents and watch them for a few minutes when you reintroduce after food. Other than that, if done correctly, the snakes will thrive and should reproduce naturally
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back