Recommendations for very transparent click-clack brands - and can I install a light?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been using a 30l Starmaid and I'm very happy with its quality, but I just really wish I could find something that's more transparent. It's the clearest I've been able to find, but I know that they make smaller transparent containers for food, stationery etc so is it unrealistic to keep looking for a LARGE storage container (mine is 32l but I would love something even bigger) that's made of clearer material?

Also: If I'm unable to find anything I'm going to buy the 52L Starmaid to give my roughie some height to climb. I have 8watt and 10watt heat mats on tile (the 8watt is more than enough at the moment) but in preparation for the colder months I'm thinking about whether it would be possible to put a heat lamp in there as the 52L is basically a 30L with height added to it. Would it melt the plastic or should it be ok?

Thanks for your help :)

Id skip another tub and go straight to an enclosure, i wouldnt run a light as the fittings get fairly hot and would more than likely melt the tub and cause issues.

I'm with kitten phoenix, just got to an enclosure, glass gives best visibility, wood is a better insulator. Everything I have is in glass except 1 4foot wooden enclosure. Even my baby stimmies, straight into 30x30x30's

I guess that's an option, though I'm about to start converting a cabinet into an enclosure large enough to house him as an adult so I don't really want to buy one that he's going to outgrow... Though if I can't use a light in a tub I suppose there's not much of an advantage. Thanks for your input guys, I'm going to think about it.

One more thing, do most people who keep pythons go from click clack to small enclosure to large enclosure as they grow? I've been told an adult-sized enclosure would be too big for a yearling but if I provide lots of hides and branches, what's the worst that could happen?

If you keep an eye on Gumtree you can generally pick up good enclosures pretty cheap, then you can always sell the smaller one when you upgrade too.

When we got our first python we hadn't heard about the whole little snake big tank issue. We put a 10 month jungle straight into a 4foot glass enclosure. He only had one actual 'hide' but he did have lots of place to hide behind and amongst plants. All things considered, he mustn't have been particularly timid because he spent the majority of his time hanging out on his log.
Next came along an, albeit rather small, 8 month Murray darling. The shop had a deal to get a free MD with a 3ft tank, so in he went. He's over a year now and still loves hiding but never in his actual hides. His favourite spot is under the leaves of a fake dianella right in the front corner, and he is now in a 1m tall x 800mm wide wood enclosure.
Anyway, I'd say a yearling is fine to go into a larger enclosure so you don't need to upgrade later. Might just be a case of changing furnishings as they grow. Both the guys I mentioned have (fake) plants they climb that in a years time will not support their weight, but as they grow they can have more logs and sturdier things.
I guess another option could be to buy the bigger tank but partition it so your python is only using a portion til it grows more.

Anyway, I few thoughts out there for you, hope you find a solution that works for both you and your roughie.
Happy Herping :)

Thanks Smurf, I'm glad to hear your experiences - I reckon my roughie's the same as the jungle and would appreciate the extra climbing space (he hides during daylight but at night is ACTIVE!) - plus I'll have a lot of fun furnishing it with fake plants and things so he has a lot of places to hide. Cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back