Have tank - need lizard, but which one?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlwdrt

Reaction score
Hello,

We have recently upgraded our snake tank leaving me with an empty tank so that I can finally get some lizards again.
Only problem is deciding what kind :rolleyes:

I love the look of both geckos and dragons, but want a more active breed this time (had a beardie before), although nothing too high maintenance. I would also like to get a least two lizards. My tank is about 90 cm W x 100 cm H x 50 cm D.

What can people recommend?

Thanks, Marita

Central netted dragons and pygmy bearded dragons seem pretty active.
But have you though about a dwarf monitor species? That size enclosure would definitely be too small for a ridge tail but a gillens might appreciate the height. Dwarf monitor species are constantly on the move and are very interesting to watch!

Hello,

We have recently upgraded our snake tank leaving me with an empty tank so that I can finally get some lizards again.
Only problem is deciding what kind :rolleyes:

I love the look of both geckos and dragons, but want a more active breed this time (had a beardie before), although nothing too high maintenance. I would also like to get a least two lizards. My tank is about 90 cm W x 100 cm H x 50 cm D.

What can people recommend?

Thanks, Marita

One or 2 eastern water skinks , they are very entertaining and can become ubertame and affectionate little things. Very beautiful skinks too. I only have one, wish I had 2 , the females are very tolerant of each other and only really tolerant of the males when it's breeding time. They also have give birth to live babies.

Pretty easy to set up for , and being endemic in Sydney area , wont need to much extra heating to keep them happy and active year round , cheap to feed and will eat pretty much the same mix of veg and insects (only smaller) as beardies do. Only need 5% UVB (if there is a nice basking rock , you can probably get by with a 15W CFB for UVB), a nice warm place to sleep and to bask (my EWS likes to bask at 34-36[SUP]o[/SUP]C) , and they like lots of fresh water (my EWS loves her water for splashing in and drinking) and not too bad at climbing either.

If you want to know more about EWS try Book (in Bundaberg) she breeds them (and pinktongues). I think there are a few EWS breeders still in Sydney too but can't recall who they are. They might pipe up if they see this and you are interested in water skinks.

That tank is a probably a bit small for even 1 bluetongue , not sure about pink tongues though.

Last edited:
Try a Jacky Dragon. They're active, pretty hardy and will use the height in the enclosure.

Thanks for the suggestions! So far I am thinking of going with the Central Netteds or the Jacky, but am having trouble sourcing either...

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know what the Painted and Red Barred dragons are like for this setup? Are they social or solitary?

If you're near Melbourne, Jacky Dragons can be had from Mentone Aquarium.

Hi there, central netted would Def used the space.
I've also got painted and red Barred. Both, like most are not good with multiple males together, but otherwise fine in company. Red Barred in my experience won't used the height of that tank, the painted however might. Ours are currently in a 600mm high. They all get up about on the raised branches and 2 sleep on top of the backing wall every night. We actually have a bunch of bearded hatchies in a tall tank at the moment and they love it.
The difficulty is in temp controlled, with only heat lamps it's difficult to have it penetrate all the way down.
Have you thought about angle headed dragons or similar? They will definitely use the height!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back