Upgrading Diamond Python Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevez

Reaction score
Hi there guys, just recently joined and was wondering if the new enclosure im building for my young diamond python (6 months old) is adequate. This is my first snake pet and I have had him for around 4 months now.

I have recently purchased a cupboard from IKEA with dimensions 1200 high, 600 wide, 400 deep. It is made from solid waterproof wood (cant remember the actual name of the wood type at the moment). It has glass doors so I can look in and I plan to make a few modifications to it (put on latches to lock door, holes for air and cables to pass through. There will also be a LED light on the top for viewing purposes and to simulate day and night cycles.

I have a heat mat and thermostat for his pen at the moment and plan to use the mat for his new home. I have also purchased a 100W infra red heat lamp to keep the ambient temperature hot enough and for him to bask under (will have a general thermometer in enclosure to measure ambient temperature). I was told that 100W would be sufficient for him however I wanted to check with you guys that this would be sufficient. He also stated that a thermostat was not needed for the heat lamp and I should leave it running during the day and shut it off at night since I will have the heat mat as well. I have also not purchased a UV light for him, from what I have read it seems that there are those who believe it to be necessary and those who do not. The breeder I bought him off said he does not use UV light for his diamond pythons and has never had an issue, however he said if I was concerned I could carry him around outside to get some sun light (which I do a couple times a week for 5-10mins)

I have also got a new hide for him to go in and plan on putting a large pyrex dish (about 300 by 150 and 50 deep) to use as a water bowl for him. I will add some branches as well for him to climb and bask under the heat lamp (once I have sterilised them).

For the placement of the heating mat and globe I was planning on putting them on one side of the cage so the other could be cooler for him, is this wise or should I put the heat lamp on one side and the mat on the other?

If you guys could give me any info on the enclosure whether I am doing it right or if there are some things I need to change I would be much appreciative.

It's essential to provide a temperature gradient i.e a warm side and a cool side. For this reason it's wise to have the heat mat and the globe on the same side of the enclosure.
Be very carefully not to over-heat the enclosure, especially considering the needs of a Diamond Python. I strongly recommend that you use a thermostat to regulate the maximum temperatures within the enclosure.

Last edited:
Also, at the moment, that size enclosure is far too large for a 6 month old Diamond. It's better off in a click-clack or tub setup until it gets older...

Thanks for the info guys, after setting up his tank I've made the right side the hot side. Where the highest branch is its roughly 30 C, at the enclosure floor its roughly the same. On the left hand side where the branch tops are its about 27, on the ground its about 26. Currently he's not using the hide I put in for him, rather just sitting on top of it. Have swapped the 100W for a 150 as it was only reaching around 27 at the top branch height on the right. Am planning on putting in a few more branches and some greenery to spruce up the place and make it easier for him to climb around. Might make it so he can climb a bit higher (have read that the highest branch should be 30cm below the heat lamp. Might try lowering the heat lamp height though so I dont have to raise his climbing branches.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 314346View attachment 314347 here's a couple pics of setup

No worries, happy to help. Just be careful that the snake doesn't get burnt on the globe by putting a cage around it. By the way, your pictures didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back