Heating problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BasiliskTV

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, now that it's coming on winter and the temperatures are cooling down I am having some heating problems. I have a 100w infrared basking globe but it's not getting the temp hot enough for my spotted Python tank. It's only keeping the tank around 25 degrees and it's supposed to be 30-32 degrees. Should I just buy a hotter globe? Please help ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What temp is the basking spot below the lamp? 25 is ok for colder end of enclosure.

25 degrees is what is under the heat lamp

Heat lamps/lights are a very inefficient way of heating snakes, you would probably get away with a good quality heat mat or heat cord of 30 watts, plus the fact "if" you have one of those chinese style enclosures with mesh on the top your heat is just disappearing through the mesh, if this is the case a piece of timber covering the top would be a def. help and "may" even solve the problem. ~B~

I'm not sure where you discovered that but I know for a fact that heat lamps aren't necessarily an inefficient way of heating snakes, I don't really like the idea of heat matts because I have heard of them malfunctioning and burning the underbelly of the snake. My enclosure does have mesh on top but I am covering it with timber already. Since posting this thread I'm thinking that my thermometer has broken, just in case I am going to buy another one and see if it shows different readings.

Anything that gives off light as part of it's energy radiation is less efficient than something that doesn't - that's simple science.

I'm not sure where you discovered that but I know for a fact that heat lamps aren't necessarily an inefficient way of heating snakes, I don't really like the idea of heat matts because I have heard of them malfunctioning and burning the underbelly of the snake. My enclosure does have mesh on top but I am covering it with timber already. Since posting this thread I'm thinking that my thermometer has broken, just in case I am going to buy another one and see if it shows different readings.

Heat lamps that produce light waste energy on exactly that- producing light. So for a heat cord of less wattage you can usually have the same temperature.

Glass tank?

If the tank is in a room that gets cold then trying to get correct temps is like trying to hold back the tide.

A 50,100 or 200 watt heat source of any description wont heat an entire room that is cool so it can't be expected to heat a tank in a cold room either.The only solution is to have an enclosure that is well insulated,move the enclosure to a warmer room or heat the entire room so the heat source in the tank isn't working overtime.

Personally l discovered that about 30 years ago along with many other ppl before and after me and l did mention a "good quality" heat mat plus the fact there are MANY ways of using a heat mat with NO direct contact....at a fraction of the cost of operating a heat lamp/light. ~B~

Yeah glass tank, the room it's in is already the hottest in the house, although as I said before I'm not sure if my thermometer is working 100% as it was a cheap one off eBay, I just baught the exo terra thermometer and when it arrives I will see if the readings are different. If it is the correct temp I'm not sure what I'm gunna do

Yeah glass tank, the room it's in is already the hottest in the house, although as I said before I'm not sure if my thermometer is working 100% as it was a cheap one off eBay, I just baught the exo terra thermometer and when it arrives I will see if the readings are different. If it is the correct temp I'm not sure what I'm gunna do

Once you get the thermometer check the temps early one morning around 6~7am as this is usually the coldest part of the day.Check cool side as well as warm side temps.

Glass tanks are really crap at holding heat so a timber enclosure is by far and away the best thing to use.If you can't get a decent enclosure then you might try insulating the tank as best as you can.Attach some foam sheets to the back and sides.If the top is mesh you can cover most of it with something,more foam sheet,mdf sheet etc to stop the heat escaping.

The temperatures were correct and my thermometer wasn't faulty, the cold side sits at 22-23 were as the hot side is at 25-26, what I have done is get a cardboard box and put it in the tank then placed the hide on top of it, this way the hide is closer to the heat lamp and this keeps it at 29 degrees. Considering he spends most of his time in the hide it should keep him warm enough until I can figure something out ;)

My suggestion is get a ceramic heat emitter if you had a wooden enclosure invest in a heat panel (not a heatmat) work well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back