Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help!I have a 4.5 year old Bredli python 2-2.5m long. I am a bit unsure as to what I should be feeding her…
Over the past year I have fed her 1x ~350g rat every 3-4 weeks. I'm currently out of supplies and trying to figure out what to get next... I hadn't weighed her for some time and just did now and she is 5.7kg! Oops.. I didn't think she was that heavy, I am now worried that I have been starving her! Last year I was overseas for some time and my parents (out of fear) fed her every 7-10 days and she grew quite significantly. Since then I was advised to feed her every 3-4 weeks by another supplier (since moved away) and she seemed to be coping ok with this (previously in the past when I had been unknowingly underfeeding her :( she had the tendency to be snappy and bite and latch on - I haven't seen any of this behaviour in the past year). She is still shedding every 2 months or so and is kept in a temperature controlled enclosure.
From some sites it looks like I should be feeding her 1.2kg (to achieve the maintenance 20%) however I am not sure how often? Before weighing her I had the idea of buying small rabbits (500g) and feeding her these on my usual cycle. What do you think? Any advice much appreciated!

Here's my male... Just love it!

983732c1c6ffab54670d1bf53498c9fb.jpg

RubyG the rabbit idea you have sounds perfect I am feeding my bredli 350g rabbits every 2 week's he is almost 3 years old.so go for it once a month at the age of yours is plenty.

my girl rousey :)
--wont let me upload the picture :/--

Last edited:
My Bredli

Hi everyone,
Seeing as my baby isnt tiny anymore i figured it was about
Time to join up and show her off.
She turned 2 last month and tonight i weighed her
At 8.5kg empty, and she reached "just" past both ends of my
Hallway. Which puts her at 2.55m as my hallway is 2.5m
My son is 8 for reference.

2 years old, over 8kg and 2.5m! You must have been slamming food down her...

Is that a bad thing?
She is very happy with anything i offer her.
Quail, xl rats or rabbits.

Hi Spikeee,

It's great your snake has such a ferocious appetite, but I'm afraid your girl is carrying a bit of extra weight. A bredli's body should be almost round in cross section, not flat. The likelihood of your python developing heart disease and fatty liver disease is greatly increased when obese, both of which can kill a snake. There are also a number of reproductive problems associated with obese snakes, so if I were you, I'd cut right back on her feeding and try to shift a little weight from her. You want to enjoy your snake for as long as possible after all.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input.
i certainly appreciate the advice.

She is my first python and i was just loosely following what i had been told by her breeder.

To simplify things, how heavy should she be at 2.5m?
8kg, 7kg, 6kg?
She is mainly round so im interested to know what the recomended weight should be for her length.

Last edited:
No worries.

It's hard to give you a definite answer to your question, but I think you really want to have your snake around the 6 kilo mark. For comparison, I have a coastal which is about 2.3m (he's the nearest to your one's size, that I have), and he is 4.5 kilos.

My 4 year old male is 2.3m and just on 6kg.
He is fed a jumbo rat/small rabbit once a month...
Notice the 'ridge' along either side of the spine, if this is not present its a pretty good indicator of being 'overweight', as this is where excess fat is stored...

attachment.php

Last edited:
Good for you mate. I would reduce her food intake to once every four to six weeks, but also reduce the size of the food item. Get her climbing about up a small tree or on the stairs, it'll take time but you'll get there in the end.

All the best.

[URL=http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/themenageriefursuits/media/DSC02961_zpskkh7ts5n.jpg.html] [/URL]

This is my little girl.
I've only had her for a couple of weeks now and she is 3 1/2 months old. She is really living up to the Bredli's rep of being a great beginner snake; she's shown no sign of aggression and took her first pinkie after just 5 days of settling in to her new home. She's fed for me 3 times now with no problems but for some reason refused to eat when my mother tried to feed her when I was away for work last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back