Brown Tree Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo235

Reaction score
...On the topic of brown trees - I have one (eastern coast variety)have had it for about 8 months and I got it as a yearling. The little guy hasn't eaten for approximately 2 months. Before this had always eaten straight away without any issues. Looks and feels healthy but still has me a little worried. It is my first Boiga, I know that they require a higher humidity than pythons so have been accomodating that. Is anyone able to throw a few ideas or possibilities my way.
By the way, she has just shed beautifully and still refuses to eat since.
Thanks in advance

Jonas

Last edited by a moderator:
It's normal for reptiles to stop feeding during the winter months, as they respond to cooler temperatures and diminishing daylight hours. This can occur even if they are kept warm and under artificial lights.
If your snake appears healthy and is behaving normally then there is very little or nothing to be concerned about.

What are your temps within the enclosure and what sort of hides are offered to your one. Also, what sort of foods are you offering and how often?

They do require a slightly higher humidity but don't focus on that right at the moment as I have found that they tend to find temps and hides more of an issue than humidity.

Stu

Hey guys. Thanks for your replies :)
Have attached a photo of it's hides. She spends most of her time in them so I assume she likes them.
The temperatures were a little lower, heating element not quite handling these colder temps so have upgraded to a higher wattage.
Also going to upgrade to a digital thermostat so I have a good and easy view of temperature in her basking area.
I did wonder if it had just stopped eating during winter??
I have a jungle and olive python also, as long as their temps are good, they both eat all year round.
Thanks again Guys
Jonas

20150528_133812.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, I am offering pinky rats. Usually a couple times a week. I was aware of higher humidity, how do you best go about increasing and maintaining it?

[MENTION=29310]jojo235[/MENTION]

Best get your temps and gradient sorted before worrying about humidity. You can help out by just having a larger water bowl in the enclosure where the BTS can get to and drink from regularly

You will find the snake hides mostly during the day and is much more active at night (hence the nickname "Night Tiger" I suppose) and the ambient temperature in the enclosure will have a bit to do with weather you see it or not. They are prone to stressing a bit more than the other snakes so I would suggest maybe double checking if anything has recently changed in the snakes area (enclosure moved, more human traffic, aircon/ lights on etc) that may help you pinpoint the cause of the lack of appetite.

My Night Tigers feed year round regularly and while they slow down over the cooler months, they do not stop completely.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back