Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all this arguing has distracted us from the problem at hand. I can't imagine having the joy of getting a new snake wiped out by it being ill...

Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 No 200
Current version for 1 December 2014 to date (accessed 30 May 2015 at 13:23)
width="100%" style="width: 100%"
|-
| align="left" | Part 2
bullet_breadcrumb.gif
Section 5

| align="right" | << page >>
|-

5 Cruelty to animals
(1) A person shall not commit an act of cruelty upon an animal.​
(2) A person in charge of an animal shall not authorise the commission of an act of cruelty upon the animal.​
(3) A person in charge of an animal shall not fail at any time:
(a) to exercise reasonable care, control or supervision of an animal to prevent the commission of an act of cruelty upon the animal,​
(b) where pain is being inflicted upon the animal, to take such reasonable steps as are necessary to alleviate the pain, or​
(c) where it is necessary for the animal to be provided with veterinary treatment, whether or not over a period of time, to provide it with that treatment.

Take care of your animals or surrender them. You care for them when they are sick not only when they are healthy.

People have and do sell possessions to pay for vet bills.

Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 No 200
Current version for 1 December 2014 to date (accessed 30 May 2015 at 13:23)
width="100%" style="width: 100%"
|-
| align="left" | Part 2
bullet_breadcrumb.gif
Section 5

| align="right" | << page >>
|-

5 Cruelty to animals
(1) A person shall not commit an act of cruelty upon an animal.​
(2) A person in charge of an animal shall not authorise the commission of an act of cruelty upon the animal.​
(3) A person in charge of an animal shall not fail at any time:
(a) to exercise reasonable care, control or supervision of an animal to prevent the commission of an act of cruelty upon the animal,​
(b) where pain is being inflicted upon the animal, to take such reasonable steps as are necessary to alleviate the pain, or​
(c) where it is necessary for the animal to be provided with veterinary treatment, whether or not over a period of time, to provide it with that treatment.

Take care of your animals or surrender them. You care for them when they are sick not only when they are healthy.

People have and do sell possessions to pay for vet bills.
OK, now you are agreeing with me. He DID surrender them...to someone with more experience. Anyway, let's just stop arguing about something so pointless. Once more, what's done is done...

OK, now you are agreeing with me. He DID surrender them...to someone with more experience. Anyway, let's just stop arguing about something so pointless. Once more, what's done is done...

No he sold them off,which is totally different to surrendering them, to become someone elses problem.If they were suffering from a virus there is a high likely hood that it is fatal.So all that has been achieved is to move them from a collection that is now compromised to another collection that if not compromised to begin with will be now,no matter how careful someone is with trying to control the problem.

Exactly. You're all turning what to one person was common sense into some sort of political drama. It's just stupid. And whether the snakes were sold or surrendered doesn't matter. The point is that they were given to someone with more experience.

Mate you have put other people's collections at risk and we are morons? You are kidding.

Op you are doing the right thing going back to the breeder. You have paid good money for an animal that has health problems. Hopefully he will do the right thing by you.

The point is: YOU DO NOT SELL SICK ANIMALS TO OTHER PEOPLE. YOU GET THEM VET CHECKED AND IF THEY HAVE A VIRUS YOU GET THEM EUTHANIZED.

Last edited:
The liability both legally and ethically would be on the seller for spreading the disease. Just because you find a gullible buyer doesn't make it right to take advantage of the situation. I believe the right thing to do is to euthanase the animals and wear the loss!

I just went back to the breeder, and they replaced the snake with another, younger Murray Darling, from different parents.
They suggested it was a neurological disorder, and not viral, as none of their numerous other snakes showed any similar symptoms.

They apologized for my past dealings with them on the matter, as I had previously dealt with his partner personally, who was less informed on the matter.

The new snake seems perfectly normal, with a good feeding record.

The liability both legally and ethically would be on the seller for spreading the disease. Just because you find a gullible buyer doesn't make it right to take advantage of the situation. I believe the right thing to do is to euthanase the animals and wear the loss!
At least you're making a decent point. But note that Pirate didn't take advantage of the buyer as, for what I hope is the last time, the buyer knew what he was getting into...

I just went back to the breeder, and they replaced the snake with another, younger Murray Darling, from different parents.
They suggested it was a neurological disorder, and not viral, as none of their numerous other snakes showed any similar symptoms.

They apologized for my past dealings with them on the matter, as I had previously dealt with his partner personally, who was less informed on the matter.

The new snake seems perfectly normal, with a good feeding record.

its good that the breeder has acknowledged the fault but personally I wouldn't be touching any of their other snakes with a barge pole, as has been pointed out these viruses can lay dormant for 12 months or more and just because none of their other snakes have symptoms now doesn't garuntee they will be ok in future. I would be getting tests done on the replacement snake to ensure it isn't carrying any disease. Sorry I don't want to worry you further but for peace of mind have the test done.

Last edited:
Another APS thread where some very obviously inexperienced keepers are arguing with some of the most experienced and knowledgable keepers in the country.....

Pirate you have admitted to being inexperienced, what you did by selling off your animals that may or may not have a virus was the wrong thing to do, learn from this mistake and listen to the advice from the guys with the knowledge and experience.
Don't make yourself look like a fool by arguing with them and taking what they say as a personal attack.

By saying you sold the snakes with neuro symptoms to someone with the experience to handle the problem speaks volumes for that persons experience, anyone with real experience would have run a mile or advised you to euthanize the animals.

its good that the breeder has acknowledged the fault but personally I wouldn't be touching any of there other snakes with a barge pole as has been pointed out these viruses can lay dormant for 12 months or more and just because none of their other snakes have symptoms now doesn't garuntee they will be ok in future I would be getting tests done on the replacement snake to ensure it isn't carrying any disease. Sorry I don't want to worry you further but for peace of mind have the test done.

There's a reptile vet in my area, I'll look into getting the new snake tested soon. Thanks :)
Any idea how much it might cost to do so?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be getting the test done regardless of price

At least you're making a decent point. But note that Pirate didn't take advantage of the buyer as, for what I hope is the last time, the buyer knew what he was getting into...
My point is that just because the buyer knows doesn't make it right. Maybe your are as guilty as each other. In a transaction involving stolen goods, if the buyer knows the goods are stolen he is in trouble as well, however if he doesn't know,then the seller is in trouble and the buyer just loses the item they have bought.

I get that. It would've been nice if everyone had realised that earlier.

I agree with what a few other long time reptile keepers have said in regards to not buying or selling any reptiles, that are not 100% healthy and eating and should be vet checked before being passed on or sold, only a responsible keeper who loves and cares for their reptiles, would be willing to do the right thing before moving on their un healthy reptiles.

These days l won't buy any pythons from just anyone l see selling them, and have no intention on buying anymore for the time being, all because of issues concerning cross breeding of sub-species.

currently l only have 1 pair of NT phase Olive Pythons, that were collected on permit from the wild in 2009, and they both have always been 100% healthy and feed when ever l offer them food, and they both are very tame and placid just like a captive breed Python.

lf I ever decide to buy another Python l know who to and not to buy from, cause l have been keeping reptiles since 1989 and know who to buy from Australia wide.

So please do the right thing for your reptiles before selling or moving them on, make sure they are feeding and have no health issues, and there is no risk to the new owner and their collection, and get them vet checked if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole scenario sucks. My sympathies go out to everyone involved. It seems clear that you've all been trying to do the right thing, but I'm going to throw in my two bobs...

I'm horrified to learn that potentially communicable disorders are being knowingly passed around. If you're not prepared to maintain permanent quarantine yourself or find someone who understands the need for permanent quarantine then I'm sorry to say it but you should be considering euthanasia.

Hope everyone who's thinking the worst is wrong.

All this has made me curious...
If neuro can lie dormant for a year, are there any symptoms to look out for in that case?

All this has made me curious...
If neuro can lie dormant for a year, are there any symptoms to look out for in that case?

It's not neuro it's viral the neuro problems are a symptom.
I suggest you read up on OPMV,IBD and Sunshine virus to get a better understanding of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back